Two

"The fear of failure is no excuse for not trying."

***Veron's POV***

My life is practically over.

I sat on the edge of my small dorm bed with my head buried in my hands. Uncle Malik was sitting across from me at the study table still trying to explain this vampire crap.

"So I'm dead?" I asked again for the umpteenth time.

"Yes..you are. Well......you were about to die so I turned you." Uncle Malik told me.

"When?" I asked trying to remember.

"You had Ebola last year and I didn't want to watch you die. I couldn't watch the son I raised die like that." Malik looked sad as the memories seemed to be flooding his mind.

"I had Ebola?!" I was surprised. I can't remember ever being sick.

"Veron this is your life now. You have to accept who you are....what you are." Uncle Malik got up and straightened his brown jacket suit. I don't think I've ever seen him dressed casually before. "I have to go now, Veron. Take some time to just relax. Everything will soon be fine."

How can everything be fine? I don't have a girlfriend and I'm a freaking vampire.

"Uncle." I blurted. "Before Abby left she said this isn't the first time I'm biting her. You know anything about this?"

Uncle Malik cleared his throat and sighed. "Yes." He nodded. "This is about the third time...." he confessed.

"What the hell?! How did I not know this?"

"That's because I erased both your memory and hers every time it happens." Uncle Malik looked serious.

"W-what?" I stuttered then started searching the room, throwing books everywhere.

"What are you looking for, Son?" Uncle Malik was genuinely confused.

I continued my search. "I know I have a calendar around here somewhere. I need to check the date."

"Why? You have an appointment?"

"No." I grimaced. "I want to check if it's April Fool's Day."

With that, Uncle Malik threw his head back and laughed until he was hoarse. Isn't it great that my nightmare can be making someone else's day?

"Ok. Seriously though. I will explain everything to you soon." Uncle Malik said then chuckled again. "I have a stakeholder's meeting that I'm already late for."

"OK. Go. I'll just stay here and wallow in self-pity." I said dramatically but Malik didn't respond. Within the blink of an eye.......literally one blink.......he was no longer here.

I dived onto the bed and covered my head with the pillow.

Is it possible for a vampire to die of fear?

Because fear was definitely taking me over. One day I was a star athlete and the next day I'm a vampire. I feel like a character from a story......a story that doesn't have a happy ending.

Where do I go from here? I can't let one minor problem ruin my life. I may be a vampire but I'm also the most handsome, most popular jock at this university and I won't let vampirism control my life.

I tried to give myself a pep talk but it was doing me no good. My life was screwed.

My phone beeped and I sat up to read the text.