Thirty-Eight

"The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today." - H. Jackson Brown Jr.

Keisha's POV

"What a klutz!" Mellisa laughed at me as I tried to get up.

Veron rushed over to me. "Are you OK Keisha?" He asked, helping me to get on my feet.

"I was bringing you guys juice," I mumbled. "I'll clean this up and leave you guys alone."

Veron shrugged. "OK then." He said and went back to sit with Mellisa.

It kinda hurts that he just left me to clean up the mess by myself and just run over to her like that. It's like he doesn't even care.

I cleaned up my mess, still listening to them blabbering and laughing with each other. I slammed the door shut when I was finished.

I stood and waited. Maybe he'll come after me. Two minutes passed....three minutes... Four minutes. Who needs him anyway? It's not like I'm in love with him or anything. I'm just doing Malik a favor, that's all. I hissed my teeth and walked straight to my room.

I grabbed my diary from my bedside table. I haven't written anything in a while. I guess now is the opportune time to write.

Dear Diary

I haven't written anything in a while. I'm sure you miss me. On the topic of Veron: my deal with Malik is almost over. I just have to play my part a little longer. I know I'm not supposed to like Veron but I find myself feeling jealous when he brought a girl home today. He barely noticed my presence. All he could see was her. I hate this feeling. I can't wait for December 10 to just come and go so I can be done with all this pretending.
Forever yours- K.P.

I closed my diary and placed it neatly in the top drawer of my bedside table. Laying on my back, I stared up into the ceiling. How did someone as young as I end up in these crazy situations? I shook my head.

I didn't even realize it when I fell asleep and started dreaming. It was the same dream for three consecutive nights now.

We were at a wedding. Veron and I were getting married. I smiled at my mom in the audience as Malik walked me down the aisle. Just as I reached the altar Veron turned around and saw my mom in the audience. "What is she doing here?" He asked. "I specifically told you not to invite her."

"But she's my mom," I said softly.

"I don't care!" Veron shouted then he rushed over to my mom and killed her.

"Mom!" I screamed as I ran toward her limp body. My dress was too heavy and it caused me to fall.

"Mom!" I shouted again as I awoke from my dream.

My bedroom door swung open. "Are you OK Keisha?" Veron asked, looking very concerned. "I heard you screaming."

"I'm fine!" I shouted at him. I was angry at him for killing my mom....even if it was a dream.

"Woah!" Veron held up his hand. "What did I do K.P?"

"Don't call me that!" I spat. "Nicknames are only for people who care about me."

Veron walked over to my tiny chair and sat down. "You think I don't care about you?"

I nodded and he chuckled. "What makes you think that?" He looked at me.

"Well for starters, you treated me like a nobody in front of your girlfriend tonight. That pretty much says you don't care." I got out of bed and walked over to my window.

Veron was silent for a while then I heard his footsteps approaching me. His hands went around my waist and I stood still. I think I forgot to breathe for a few seconds. He pulled me closer to him and I gasped.

"You feel that?" He whispered in my ear. "That happens every time I'm around you. I honestly care about you more than I care about myself."

I didn't know what to say or do so I just stood there trying not to embarrass myself. He continued to whisper in my ear. "That girl means nothing to me. She is just some girl I'm supposed to be completing an assignment with. You don't need to get jealous of her."

"I'm not jealous." I defended. "But did you have to bring her home?"

Veron chuckled. "Just admit you were jealous to see me with another girl."

"I'm not jealous." I spun around to face him and I stopped breathing once again. Our lips were a few centimeters apart. I stepped back trying to put some space between us. My back hit the wall. Why do I always find myself between a rock and a hard place? Pun intended.

Veron leaned in. "Aren't you going to ask me to kiss you?" His hot breath caressed my face.

I shook my head no.

"You don't want me to?" He asked. He was so close I could pretty much taste the Listerine on his breath.

I didn't answer but as he leaned in closer my lips parted, giving him entrance. His kiss was passionate and my hands somehow found their way around his neck, pulling him closer.

He groaned against my lips. "You're driving me crazy Keisha." He said. I didn't get to answer as he was already kissing me again.

'Come to my bed chamber now.' I heard Malik's voice in my head and I drew back abruptly.

"I-I have to go to the b-bathroom now." I lied, slipping out of Veron's reach, and headed for the door.

"Seriously?" I heard him say as I closed the door leaving him inside my bedroom.

I hurried to Malik's room, stopping to catch my breath before pushing his door open.

"Malik?" I asked clicking on the light. He was sitting on the couch and he gestured for me to come to kneel in front of him.

"As you may have noticed, the fight with Don has drained me and caused my feeding patterns to change. I will need to feed twice a day now to regain my full strength. You will need to eat more carbs. Understand?"

I nodded and shifted my blouse so my neck was exposed to him. He sunk his teeth in.

"What the hell?!" I heard Veron's angry voice and my eyes went wide. Oh crap!