Sixty

"The worst feeling in the world is knowing you've been used and lied to by someone you trusted."

Keisha's POV

"Can I make it up to you?" Veron pleaded. "Let me take you to lunch."

I looked at him with angry eyes. "How could you have lied to me? I thought I was your girlfriend."

"I didn't lie to you K.P." He retorted. "I just didn't tell you Don was still alive because you would be worried."

Is he being serious?!

"That is why you should have told me!" I shouted at him. "I would have at least been a bit more careful."

I know I'm not a vampire and I'm almost useless compared to Don but if he had just told me I would be a little more vigilant and aware of my surroundings. If I cannot trust Veron, who am I going to trust?

"Keisha." He grabbed my hand as I was about to leave. "I never meant to hurt you." There was so much remorse in his eyes that I felt like I would just hug him and make everything alright but I didn't. I turned and walked back to my room leaving him dumbfounded.

I threw myself face down on the bed. I was exhausted and emotionally tired. I really can't wait for my mother's plan to work so I can get out of this place for good.

My door was pushed open by someone. "You know you should give him a chance Doll. He had good intentions." Damion said and I groaned into the plush comforter. I didn't want to forgive Veron, not just yet.

"I don't want to be alone with him. I'm afraid I will do something bad." I told Damion and he snickered.

"What are you going to do? Punch him in the face and break your scrawny little hands?"

"I want to punch you in the face!" I told him as I sat up.

"Ok ok.....How about Vanessa and I go with you guys and make it a double date?" He suggested.

It could work. It would be nice to leave the house. I haven't left in such a long time and I want to cherish the small amount of time I have left to be with these people I call my friends. I'm going to miss them so much.

"Fine. I'll go. But you have to promise to never leave me alone with him." I held up my pinky finger and Damion laughed so hard that he was almost out of breath.

"Just get ready Doll. I'll go tell Veron the good news." He was still laughing as he exited my room.

It wasn't all that funny. My dad and I used to make pinky promises all the time.

A text came in on my phone and I went over to the dresser to pick it up.

Veron: Thank you for another chance 🙏 I promise you won't regret it.

I found myself smiling as I read his text. We are going to be fine. I have already forgiven him but I don't want him to know as yet. I want to see him work for it.

I got ready pretty quickly today pulling on a floral dress and throwing a jacket over it. I wore boots that went all the way up to my knees because it had started snowing already.

"So where are we going for lunch?" Vanessa asked as we filed into Veron's car.

"The seafood restaurant downtown," Veron answered and I made a face. I have always hated seafood but I didn't protest. The last time I had seafood I couldn't stop throwing up but that was when I was much younger. Maybe my body will tolerate it now.

They chatted as we drove but I remained quiet. Veron and Damion sat in the front and they went on and on about sports.

"So....." Vanessa stretched her hand toward me. "Nice to meet you sister-in-law. Welcome to the family." She smiled warmly at me and I laughed.