Chapter 6: Home For The Holidays

Start from the beginning

"What can I say. That Taff blood running through me makes me super competitive."

He laughs, "Speaking of competitive the U.S. women's soccer team is still looking pretty good even without Hope Solo."

I worship the United States Women's National Team. I don't know how anyone would mistake me for straight. "I still think it was a big mistake to terminate her contract. She's the best goalkeeper in the world", I reply back.

My mother walks in and breaks up our conversation, "Ok dinner is ready you two."  We sit down and they begin to question me about school and work.

"School is great I'm acing all my classes, student government is going great minus a few meatheads, I got fired from work", I speed talk through the last part with hopes of them not noticing.

"You got what?", my dad shouts out.

"I got fired", I respond looking down at my plate.

"Well you were far too smart to be at the place anyway. Maybe now you will finally take me up on my offer to work at the firm", my mother says while twirling her fork in my direction.

No. Nope. Never happening. My mother has been trying to get me to work for her law office since before I could talk. I have been rejecting her offer ever since then too. She has pretty much mapped out my entire life for me. She was ecstatic when I finally started showing interest in law.  I haven't had the heart to tell her she's not the reason why, and it was only because of Terrence's ordeal.

My father gives my mother a glance, "So what are you going to do now hunny?", he asks me.

"Well last week I interviewed for a paid internship with Senator Abner's office-." Before I can give them any details they both cut me off. "Wow baby that's great. Senator Abner is exceptional. I just saw on the news today that she wants to boost teacher pay in California", my father says.

My father is a high school principal so of course he's excited about it. "Every other California Senator has said that exact same thing and I don't remember it ever happening", I respond back.

My mother disregards my comment, "I agree with your father I think she's great. We all know she's going to run, and she has my vote if she is does. We need a woman In office."

Am I surrounded by idiots? Why am I the only one that's see she's a fraud? I agree we need a woman in office. Just not that woman.

In an effort to switch up topics I decide it's time to rip the bandaid off,  "I need to talk to you guys about something. Is it ok if I stay here a while?...I mean even after the holidays.", I ask my parents.

"Why what's going on? You aren't trying to get out of going to Law School after graduation are you?"

I take a deep breath,"No mom. Vanessa and I kind of got into a big argument and I don't think we can fix it. I've been crashing at Olivia's place, but I don't want to  burden her."

"Hunny isn't she one of your best friends? I'm sure it was a misunderstanding whatever happened", my dad interjects.

"Leave her alone James, she's old enough to make that decision', my mother says while finishing off her glass of wine.

Ok, so I'm just not old enough to make my crucial life decisions though. Got it.

My mother continues, "I never liked that girl Vanessa anyway. She was always too hoeish. You don't need friends like that."

"You guys I don't really feel like talking about it. If it's a no I can go back with Olivia."

"We're sorry baby, yes feel free to move back in. Your room is the way you left it for a reason", he says winking at me.