Chapter 67

Chapter 67
Mia's POV

It seems as though Avery no longer exists upon this earth... or at least as far as I'm aware. It's been over four months since the day she called me to end things, since then I have not seen or spoken to her.

A couple days after she called I went to her apartment building to confront her but security wouldn't let me enter the building. I called a few times and it always went to voicemail until the day it said the number was no longer in service. Calling Shannon and Evan yielded the same results.

School was starting back up again soon so I figured I might finally get to talk to her then. However, on the first day she never showed up, nor did Shannon. A week went by and I never saw them. I figured maybe they transferred out of my class. I would scan the parking lot for Avery's car but I never saw it. After a couple weeks, I went to the office and I found out that both of them were no longer enrolled at the school.

The day I found out that Avery was no longer in school I tried going to her apartment again. I managed to get by security somehow but when I got to her floor I was unable to get into the apartment. I figured she just changed the locks so my key would no longer work so I just knocked but no one ever answered. I ended up just standing outside her apartment waiting for someone to show up but the only person who did was the person who lived next door to Avery and that's when I learned that the apartment was vacant and no one had lived in it for about a month.

There were a few mornings where I would wake up and think maybe it was just a dream, that Avery never existed. For a few seconds the thought that Avery never existed would rid my heart of the pain of having lost her, but it was always quickly replaced by the pain of thinking she wasn't ever real; that all the happiness I experienced with her was never real. That thought somehow both relieved and increased the pain in my heart, but it would always quickly pass as reality hit.

I know for a fact that Avery does indeed exist. There are still traces of her everywhere. There are pictures of her and us still in my phone. Some of her clothes are still in my apartment, including one of her favorite T-shirts I wear to bed every night. And there is Liam. He still exists and he is still going to the same school as Olivia but according to Layla, she hasn't seen Avery, Evan, or Shannon at the school. Apparently some guy in a fancy suit and driving an expensive black car has picked Liam up at school almost every day. She also said that she saw Adrianna doing it a few times and had half a mind to confront her but thankfully she didn't because a scene like that is the last thing I need.

So, while it may seem like she doesn't, Avery is still on this earth and always has been. She does indeed still exist in this world... she just doesn't exist in mine.

After about a month I finally gave up. I felt completely pathetic for even trying. Clearly if Avery went to such incredible lengths, she obviously never wants to see me again. She is done with me and she has moved on. I know I should do the same, but I just can't. Even after four months I still have that same sharp pain in my heart. And sometimes when I think too hardly about her I struggle to even breathe.

The only thing that has kept me going all this time is Layla. She is the person who has always been there for me when I needed her. And lately, I have really needed her. Right after things ended I just slept at her apartment on the couch for a few weeks because I couldn't be alone.

Layla and I have been spending more time together lately than we have since we were in high school. She is the only reason I'm still sane. When I'm alone I feel like I'm falling down this dark hole that has no end, but being with Layla helps pull me out. That's why I spend as much time with her as I can, like right now I'm sitting on the floor of her bedroom grading papers while she sits on her bed with a bunch of legal work spread out around her. Even in moments like this, it's all just a little better.