Chapter 63

Chapter 63

I chew on my bottom lip as I watch the numbers light up above the elevator doors. It feels like the time it takes to get between floors is only increasing with each one.

"It will be okay," I hear Evan say next to me. I turn and give him a small smile before turning back towards the doors.

I want to believe him. I want to believe that everything will be okay. It's just that I'm not sure I can believe it will be. I feel like I really screwed up. I don't think I've ever seen Avery so upset before, at least not at me.

Finally the elevator dings when it reaches the floor Avery's room is on. I wait impatiently as the elevator doors slowly open. I step out to see Shannon on the couch in the sitting area outside Avery's bedroom.

"Hey," Shannon says as she stands up when she sees us.

"Is she in there?" I ask as I look at and start making my way towards Avery's bedroom door.

"Yeah, she is," Shannon says a little apprehensively. "Maybe you should knock before going in," she says as I reach for the door knob but it barely registers in my mind. I can't wait another second.

"Avery, baby?" I call out as I open the door. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have..." I start to say as I enter the room but stop when I see Adrianna laying in Avery's bed while holding her.

Seeing Adrianna with her arms wrapped around her like that makes my blood boil a little if I'm being honest.

"Sorry," Adrianna says when she notices my presence. "I'll give you two some space," she says as she lets go of Avery and makes her way out of her bed. I step aside out of the way of the door so she can leave. Before she makes it all the way she turns around and looks at Avery. "Remember what I said, okay?" she says sweetly and Avery smiles at her.

"I will. Thanks, Ade," she says and I see her smile back. I hold the door open for Adrianna and she quickly looks at me before leaving. I quickly close the door behind her and turn my attention back to Avery.

"Avery, I'm..." I start to say as I make my way towards her but she puts her hand out signaling for me to stop as she sits up on the bed.

"Don't apologize," she says as I make my way over to her and sit in front of her on the edge of her side of the bed. It's then that I finally get a good look at her.

Her eyes are all red and her makeup is all smudged. It looks as though she has been crying for hours and it breaks my heart to know I'm the reason why she is hurting.

"Avery, I'm really..." I start to say again only for her to stop me.

"I'm serious Mia," she says as she wipes her eyes. "Please don't apologize. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I'm so sorry I yelled at you," she says and I just feel worse.

"Hey," I say as I move closer to her on the bed and take her cheek in my hand. She leans into my touch a little and I internally smile a bit. "Don't worry about it. You were right I shouldn't have done that. I should've listened to you," I say and she shakes her head at me.

"I still shouldn't have yelled at you. It was my fault, not yours," she says and I give her a confused look.

"What are you talking about? That wasn't your fault," I say reassuringly and she looks at me sadly.

"Yes, yes it was. I never should've brought you. If I hadn't you never would have had to be put in that position," she says and I remove my hand from her face. As I pull away from her I can instantly see that she misses the contact.