Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Avery's POV

"We will be back sometime tomorrow afternoon, okay? Make sure you behave and keep an eye on Aunty Shannon," I say as I hug Liam and I hear Shannon scoff behind him. "I love you my little man!"

"I love you too mommy!" Liam says while squeezing me tightly.

"I'm serious," I say as I get to my feet and look at Shannon. "I want you to behave yourself!" I tell her and she glares at me.

"You're so lucky the kid is in the room..." she mumbles and I smile.

"Thank you for doing this!" I tell her.

"Yeah... whatever..." she mumbles again.

"When I get back, my kid and my apartment better be in one piece!" I warn her.

"Just leave already Avery!" Shannon groans.

"Alright! I love you!" I say to Liam once more before turning to Shannon. "I love you too Shannon!" I say, but she pouts as she waves me off and I just laugh as Evan and I head out the door.

When I get into the car I turn to look at Evan. "Before we leave town, I need to stop at the bank first," I tell him as he gets into the driver's seat of my car.

"Alright, but why?"

"To withdraw a shit ton of cash, that's why!" I say like it's obvious.

He eyes me oddly. "And why are we withdrawing a shit ton of cash?" he asks as he starts the car and backs out of the parking spot.

"It's all part of my plan to stay sane at this damn party and screw over our father in the process," I tell him.

"Should I be concerned? You're not planning on doing anything illegal, like hiring a hitman or anything, right?" he jokes and I roll my eyes.

"Funny!"

"Okay, but seriously, should I be concerned?" he asks turning to look at me for a second before looking back at the road.

"I'm not going to do anything illegal," I groan and he lets out a small laugh.

"Not about that, I meant about you," he says softly and I sigh as I turn to look out the window.

"No, I don't want you to worry anymore about me than you already do. I can take care of myself." I tell him.

"You know telling me not to worry isn't going to get me to stop."

"I know," I say as I turn back to look at him. "God I know. I really do wish you would stop. I hate that you're always concerning yourself with me."

"You're my sister Avery! I'm always going to be concerned about you. I love you!" he says and a sad smile forms on my face.

"I love you too."

"So are you going to be okay?" he asks and quickly turns to look at me for a second before bringing his eyes back on the road. "Because if you really don't want to do this, I'm sure we can figure something out."

"Like what? What can we possibly do? We are eighteen years old, you're in college and I'm still in high school. If dad cuts us off how are we supposed to provide for ourselves, let alone Liam?" I ask.

"I don't know, we can figure something. I don't want you to have to do this if you don't want to," he says, his voice sounds full of concern.

"Of course I don't want to do this. But there's nothing we can do right now. In three more years, we'll be twenty-one and the trust funds grandpa left us will kick in and then we can be free. But right now, there's nothing that can be done."