Chapter 65

Chapter 65

I open my eyes as I feel the plane start to descend. I look at Avery whose head is resting on my shoulder as she sleeps. I smile a little as I watch her.

I gently run my hand up and down Avery's arm as the plane begins to land. I feel her begin to stir a little as the plane touches down.

"Hey," she says lazily as she lifts her head up to look at me. I smile back at her as I reach up and tuck her hair behind her ear, getting it out of her beautiful face.

"Hey," I say right back. She gives me a small smile before sitting up fully in her seat and stretching.

The plane comes to a stop and I see Evan get out of his seat and make his way towards Avery.

"Here let me help you get up," he says as he moves to help her out of her seat, but she shakes her head at him. 

"I can walk," she says as she stands up.

"Okay..." Evan says a little hesitantly as he backs away and goes to grab his things. 

"I should probably call my parents and let them know we can't make it to dinner tonight," I say, and Avery looks at me with a raised brow.

"Why?" she asks and I run a hand through my hair as I think.

"Um... we had a long night, and you aren't really feeling well. So, I thought it may not be the best idea," I say and she shakes her head as she grabs her things.

"You thought wrong. I'm fine and we are going. But I wanna go home and shower first," she says before kissing me on the lips and walking past me and out of the plane. 

I stand still where I am, completely confused. I turn to look at Evan and he just shrugs his shoulders before getting off the plane too.

I think back to last night and the state Avery was in. She was practically lifeless, she could barely move or speak, but now she seems completely fine. She seems like herself again, I think and feel a smile start forming on my face.

Maybe all she really did need was to get out of that place and back home where she is safe and loved. 

><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Christmas was actually pretty good. Avery did really well throughout the entire day and even the day after. It's as if the events that had transpired on Christmas Eve never actually happened. Avery seemed perfectly happy and healthy... until we got home from my parents' house.

As soon as we got back, I started to notice a steady decline in Avery's mood and mental state. It's been almost a week since we got home, and Avery hasn't been herself at all. I can see her trying hard, especially when around Liam, and she looks pretty normal, but I can tell something is off. How do I put it? It's like she is there physically but mentally she isn't. I have no idea where she is mentally. 

"I have never seen her like this. I thought after Christmas she was going to be okay but clearly, she's not. I'm really starting to worry," I say, confessing my concerns to Evan. 

It's late. Liam and Shannon are both already asleep. I saw the light in Evan's room on and I really needed someone to talk to about everything and I know that Evan is just as concerned as I am.

"Has she said anything about what's wrong?" he asks, and I shake my head. 

"No. You said not to ask or push her, and I haven't," I say as I think back to what Evan told me on Christmas Eve. "I don't know what to do. This just isn't like last time. It's like she isn't even there now."