Chapter 70

Chapter 70
Mia's POV

As my eyes begin to slowly open I realize I'm in bed alone and I begin to panic. I start thinking that my sleep deprived brain hallucinated Avery, that she was never really here, and I feel my heart start to hurt.

"Avery?" I call out as I suddenly sit up in the bed.

I blink a few times as my eyes begin to adjust to the darkness of the room and search for her. When I see her in the corner of the room on the phone my heart feels relieved.

"Hey, I'll call you back. Thanks a lot, Ade," she says into the phone before hanging up. "Hey, baby," she says as she moves back into the bed and kisses me on the forehead. "How'd you sleep?"

"Okay, I guess. For a second I thought you'd ran out on me," I admit and she smiles at me.

"And risk never having sex again? I would like to think that you know me better than that," she says and I laugh.

"I'm really glad you didn't leave me," I say as I smile at her.

"Well, I didn't run out on you. I'm sorry, but I had to leave the room for a few minutes to use the restroom and get something to eat. You've kind of been out for a while," she says and I look at her with a raised brow.

"How long is a while?"

"About ten hours. I told you that you looked exhausted. You were really out. I was a little surprised I didn't wake you when I pried myself out of you arms," she says and my eyes go wide.

"Seriously, ten hours?! You stayed with me for ten hours?" I ask and she smiles at me.

"Ten hours minus the ten minutes I briefly left room. I never would have left your side at all, but I was kind of desperate. I tried to go as fast as I could. I promised you I'd be here when you woke up and I really didn't want to break it," she says and I smile back at her as I move into her arms.

"You didn't."

"Are you hungry? I can get you something to eat if you want?"

"I am. But could we just stay like this a while longer?" I ask and I feel a laugh roll through her chest as she holds me a little tighter.

"I'll do anything you want."

"Anything, huh?" I ask curiously and I hear that beautiful laugh of hers again.

"Yup. Literally anything. If you asked me to rob a bank for you I would," she says and I laugh to as a big smile appears on my face.

"Maybe later," I say while still smiling.

"Alright," she says and my smile starts to fade away.

"How's my mom doing?"

"She's doing okay. She's with your aunt and sister right now," she says and I nod my head in understanding. "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing okay," I say and I hear her sigh.

"Mia, please don't do that. Please don't pretend you're okay when you aren't. You don't need to be strong for me," she says and I pull away from her just enough so I can look at her.

I know," I say with a sad smile on my face. "I just really don't want to talk about it right now. I don't even want to think about it. I'm not ready too, and I really don't want to have a huge break down. So can we please talk about something else for a while?" I ask and she smiles back at me softly.

"Okay. What do you want to talk about? Have you seen any good movies lately?" she asks and I laugh.

I remember asking her that same question almost a year ago not long after we met. It was the day I first went to her apartment when she fell into that deep depression and Shannon had asked me to try and get Avery to feel better. Avery didn't want to talk about what was wrong or at all so I asked that question hoping that just talking about anything would help somehow.