Chapter 47

Chapter 47

Mia's POV

I can't believe she would ever think she was a bad mother; I especially can't believe she would think that just because she was hurting like she was.

Nobody can blame her for getting like that, and it sure as hell doesn't make her a bad mother. Considering the circumstances I can honestly say she really is a wonderful mother.

I can tell that Liam loves her and I know that she really loves him, I'm sure she really would do anything for him; in my opinion he is truly lucky to have her as a mother.

The only thing I wish is that Avery knew the love of a parent. It breaks my heart to know that she doesn't.

"Why are we doing this?" she asks suddenly, dragging me out of my thoughts of her.

"What do you mean exactly? Are you asking why we are talking? Or why we're ditching school? Because the answer to both those questions would be because of you."

"You're a real smart ass sometimes, you know that?" she says with slight amusement.

"It's a gift!" I say, and even though I can't see her, I know she's most likely rolling her eyes right now.

"I know that you know what I meant," she says with a sigh and my face instantly drops.

"Yes, I know what you meant, and clearly I'm avoiding the question," I say and she sighs again.

"We both know we would have to talk about this sooner or later," she says quietly and my face drops some more.

"Not necessarily, but at the very least I was hoping for later."

"Mia, I'm sure you knew things couldn't last like this forever," she says and I feel my heart start to ache. I can't believe this is happening right now.

"I did know, but I figured it would last for more than a week; hell it hasn't even been a week! It's been four days, Avery."

"We should stop this before it gets any messier," she says and I'm suddenly a little confused.

"I thought things were going rather well. Am I missing something, Avery?"

"Mia..."

"No, Avery!" I interrupt her, I'm starting to get a little annoyed. "If you're really going to do this, the least you can do is look at me first," I say and she makes no effort to move, nor does she respond. "Why are you doing this, Avery?" I ask with a sigh.

"I told you why. It's best if we end things now before either of us gets anymore invested," she says. She's still refusing to look at me, so I reach down and take her chin in my hand and tilt her head up towards me.

"Avery, look me in the eye," I say when she avoids making eye contact. "I thought we both wanted this?" I ask when she finally brings her eyes up to look into my own.

"I don't want to hurt you anymore than I already have," she says quietly.

I sigh as I sit up so I can get a better look at her and she does the same. "You haven't hurt me, Avery. In fact, these last few days I've been happier than I have in a long time," I tell her and she gives me a sad look.

"I haven't changed my mind about not opening up. I don't want to hurt you, Mia! This can't last like this, we both know it. And you may feel like I haven't hurt you, but I will. The longer this continues, the more hurt you're going to get; the more hurt we're both going to get. I don't want that for either of us," she says, and I just silently look into her eyes.