Chapter 42

A/N: I recommend checking out the song. In my opinion, it's amazing! Also goes well with the chapter.

Chapter 42

Mia's POV

After Monday it became apparent that Avery intends to stay away from me. She completely ignored me from Monday all the way to Wednesday, she never showed up to school yesterday or today. I feel like this is how the rest of the school year is going to go. She's going to continue to ignore me and only come to school often enough that she doesn't fail or get kicked out. And considering she is still able to maintain a near perfect GPA, I don't think she's worried about either of those two.

At this point it seems she's really determined to do this. I've already tried so much, and I don't think I'm capable of changing her mind. The only one who can is herself and if she really wants this, I don't ever see that happening. So I suppose it's best for me to just respect her wishes and stop trying.

The bell rings and I dismiss my class and head to my desk. I just sit there and watch as my first period class practically runs out the door. I release a sigh after I think they are all gone, but then I notice Shannon closing the door behind the others.

"Do you need something Ms. Emerson?" I ask as she makes her way to sit on the desk in front of mine.

"Considering, I caught you getting fucked by my friend on her couch, I think we can be on a first name basis, don't you?" she asks and I start coughing. My face feels like it's literally on fire right now.

I clear my throat. "Right...Um... What can I help you with?" I ask again and she doesn't answer, but just gestures her hand for me to continue causing me to roll my eyes. "What can I help you with Shannon?" I ask with a sigh and she smiles.

"Much better! Now that we are on friendlier terms, you can tell me if you seriously plan to continue putting up with Avery's shit!" she says, completely catching me off guard.

"Uh... There isn't anything I can do about it. She doesn't want to be with me, and I can't make her want to."

"Bullshit!"

"What?"

"I said that's bullshit, every last bit of it."

"I don't think so. Avery has made what she want's pretty clear," I say and she rolls her eyes.

"This isn't what Avery wants at all."

"I don't understand."

"Yeah you don't because Avery can be a fucking good actress sometimes. She likes you Mia. She likes you a lot," she says and I'm a little surprised.

So Avery really does like me?! After speaking to Denise I kind of figured she did, and after last Sunday I became even surer, and now Shannon's even saying it. So it must actually be true, but that honestly doesn't change anything.

"Whether or not she likes me doesn't change the fact that she doesn't want to be with me," I say and she sighs exasperatedly. "What now?" I ask, getting slightly annoyed.

"She does want to be with you," she says and I'm not sure if I believe her.

"I don't think she does," I say and she scoffs.

"Trust me she does! She's just being a fucking chicken! She doesn't want to get hurt again and she really doesn't want to hurt you. She thinks she's protecting you from herself."

"Yeah, I know she thinks that, but I told her I don't want it or need it. But she clearly thinks otherwise and I don't think there's anything I can do to change her mind."