Chapter 41

Chapter 41

Mia's POV

When I wake up on the couch alone, I don't even have to look or guess, I just know that Avery is not here. She clearly left in the middle of the night just like last time, but this time I have a strong feeling that she didn't even leave a note.

I honestly don't even know what to think, other than last night was clearly a onetime thing. I really thought we finally had made some progress, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe last night was it for us, but why?

I confessed how I feel about her and while she didn't say it, I felt like she returned those feelings. I still feel like she did, so why would she leave? Does she still think she's protecting me? Or maybe she changed her mind.

The only way to know for sure would be to talk to her. But I don't see that happening. I'm very sure she's going to go back to ignoring me, and that thought hurts. It hurts so much that I want to regret everything that happened between us last night, but I just can't. When it comes to Avery, I can't ever seem to regret anything that I do. However, even though I may not regret anything I did or said, it doesn't mean I don't wish it turned out differently.

I sigh as I reach over and grab my phone off the coffee table and dial Layla's number.

"Mmm," she mumbles when the call connects.

"Did I wake you?"

"Yes," she yawns.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine, I should've been up by now anyways. What's up?"

"Would you mind coming over?"

"Are you okay?" she says, sounding concerned.

"No... I'm not. Could you just please come over?"

"I'll be right over!"

"Thanks," I say before hanging up.

About twenty minutes after hanging up, I hear my apartment door opening. That was faster than I thought it would be, I really hope she didn't break any laws getting here.

"Mia?"

"Couch!" I say as I sit up and bring my knees to my chest.

"What happened?" she asks as she sits down next to me.

"I saw Avery last night," I tell her as I turn my body around on the couch to face her.

"Seriously? I thought you went to that party with Nick last night."

"I did. She was there."

"She was? Did she know the couple?" she asks and I'm not really sure how to answer that.

"She said her father forced her to go and that she didn't know them, but that clearly wasn't true."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, when Adrianna Montgomery started making her way over to Avery, she completely freaked out. She ran right out of the ballroom."

"Why would she freak out like that?"

"She never told me. But judging from the argument they had in the hallway of the hotel, I'm pretty sure Adrianna is Avery's ex."

"Shit!" she says, her eyes going wide.

"Yup!"

"What did she look like?" she asks curiously.

"Definite model material."