Chapter 10

Chapter 10

"Mommy! Wake up!"

I groan as I'm once again awoken by screaming and someone jumping on my bed. I look over at the clock and its 6:45. I groan again just wanting to go back to sleep.

"Come on Mommy, wake up! Today is the first day of Kindergartens!"

I sigh and sit up, couldn't he at least wait until seven? I'm really tired, but I can't help smiling when I look at him. He looks so excited, and he should be, today is an important day for him. But I just hope every morning isn't like this. I really hope Shannon was right and some of this excitement will wear off soon. He's been even more of a handful lately because of this.

"Okay, Okay! Mommy's up," I say and he finally stops jumping. "Come on, let's go get breakfast," I say getting up and holding my hand out for him to take.

By the time he's done eating breakfast and I manage to get him dressed in his uniform, it's almost seven twenty. I see Evan come out of his room, he waves at me and says hey between his yawns. I ask him if he can watch Liam while I take a shower and he gives me a slight nod, and I thank him as I rush to the bathroom.

I shower quickly and by the time I'm done and dressed, I notice it's still not eight yet, and I let out a sigh of relief. Neither of us will be late on our first day. I grab my bag, keys, and coffee, as Liam puts on his shoes and grabs his backpack. We make it to the door and wave bye to Evan, who's just sitting on the couch eating a bowl of cereal, before we head out the door and to the elevator so we can get to the car.

Liam's seemingly never ending excitement carries on throughout the car ride to his elementary school. I take another sip of my coffee and wish that I had the same energy in the morning.

After I drive up to the school and park Liam practically flies out of the car. "Slow down and wait for me!" I call after him with amusement clear in my voice. I walk around the car and take his hand as we walk into the school. We are just entering through the school doors when I'm stopped by a familiar voice.

"Avery?! Is that you?" I turn around and see Mia standing there is all her glory, my god does she look good even in the morning.

"Hey, Mia! This is definitely a coincidence."

"I'll say!" she says smiling. "Suddenly I'm glad that Layla asked me to take her daughter to school."

I look down and notice the little girl holding her hand. She can't be much older than Liam. I try and say 'Hi' to her, but she just shies away.

"Sorry," Mia apologizes. "She's a little shy. Olivia say hi to Avery," she says and the little girl gives me a shy wave before moving slightly behind Mia. I just smile and wave back.

"It's really nice of you to take Layla's daughter to school," I say before turning to look at Liam when I feel him tugging on my arm.

"It's no big deal. She had to go to work early and needed help so I offered," she shrugs it off. "Besides I could say the same about you. I'm assuming this is your brother? The one you said was staying with? Or is he your nephew or something?" she asks.

"Neither," I reply. "This is Liam... my son," I finish and see surprise appear on her face.

"Oh..." She says.

"Yeah, oh!" I reply back slightly annoyed. I know what that 'Oh' means. It means she's judging me right now. She probably never thought, being so young, I would have a five year old son. This situation has probably made her uncomfortable and now she is going to make an excuse so she can leave. I've been on the receiving end of these 'Oh's long enough to know this is what always happens.

I'm waiting for her to make her excuse to leave, when she takes me completely by surprise. She smiles and bends down to Liam's height and sticks out her hand for him to shake as she introduces herself. I can't help but smile at the gesture. This is definitely different than what I'm used to. I honestly didn't expect her to react like this.

"I'm Liam and today's my first day of kindergarten," he replies shaking her hand and sporting a big toothy grin. I let out a small laugh as I remember him telling the same thing to a bunch of random people at the store the other day.

"That's wonderful! It's really nice to meet you Liam. Actually, today is Olivia's first day of first grade. You guys are really close in age, maybe you'll be friends," she tells him and I laugh as Liam just continues to smile and Olivia retreats further behind Mia.

"He's adorable!" Mia says while standing up and making eye contact with me again.

"Thanks," I say with a smile. I can tell that she's just about to say something, but she gets interrupted by Liam.

"Mommy, come on! We're going to be late!" he says while tugging on my arm so hard I feel like he's going to yank it out of its socket.

"Alright, alright! Give me a second," I sigh and turn to Mia only to see that she's trying not to laugh. "Sorry, he's been overly excited for weeks now."

"It's quite alright. I think it's cute," she says and I just scoff.

"Trust me, you wouldn't think so if you had to endure it for two weeks," I say as Liam continues to tug my arm and she laughs.

"Clearly you need to go before he yanks off your arm, but are we still good for Friday?" she asks.

"I am, if you are."

All she manages to do is smile before Liam whines again. I swear this kid has horrible timing!

"Go! Don't keep him waiting. I'll see you Friday Avery," She says with a smile and small laugh as she looks to Liam pulling my arm once more before she walks down a different hall than the one we're going to go down.

"Bye, Mia!" I call after her before I hear Liam whine again. "Alright! I'm coming!" I tell Liam and I hear a laugh echo through the hall and I know it belongs to the beautiful woman I was just talking to.

I smile the whole way to Liam's new classroom and all the way to my car; my smile can't even seem to leave my face as I drive to the high school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note:

(Insert Witty Comment Here)

Please vote/comment/follow/share/ect?

(Insert Another Witty Comment Here)

I mean how many of you actually read these notes? And actually enjoy them?

Well to the few of you (I'm assuming there aren't many) who actually think I'm somewhat funny, I promise I'll try harder next time, it's been a hard day and it's not even halfway over for me. I hope everyone else is having a better day than I am.

And considering that this chapter is rather short and the next one is even shorter, I guess I'll be nice and post again tomorrow.....

....Though there is a small part of me that wants to be mean and make you really wait for it. I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what I decide.

Thank you for reading! I truly do appreciate it! :)