Chapter 30

A/N: I originally intended to combine this witch Ch. 29, but I love a good cliffhanger. *shrugs*. I really was going to make you wait until tomorrow for this, but I decided to be nice considering this is a very short chapter. Enjoy! :)

Chapter 30

"I called to tell you that Adrianna got re-engaged to Jack Wilcox."

I can't believe what I'm hearing! Does Adrianna seriously still want to marry that asshole? If so why even break off the damn engagement in the first place. If she really wants to be with him, then why was she ever with me?

Did she ever even love me or was I just a good fuck? Someone she could play with and when she was done with me she went running back to him? Is that why she never even fucking called me?

I knew Adrianna could be a real bitch sometimes. And I also knew she rarely cared about anyone or whether not she hurt them, but I always felt I was the exception. All she ever did was show she cared about me. She had always been there for me when I needed her. Before the night I saw her with him, she never once did anything to hurt me.

Was everything she ever said or did for me, really all a lie? I always wanted to believe this, I felt like if I did it would be easier to hate her; to keep me from loving her so much, but no matter how many times I tried to tell myself it was, I couldn't ever truly believe it. After everything she's done for me, it just didn't seem possible.

There was always a small part of me that wanted to believe what she did that night was a mistake. That she felt so bad about it that she couldn't face me in fear of hurting me more. I thought that maybe she would finally come to me and beg for my forgiveness and for me to take her back; to tell me that she honestly loved me.

I know that it's really irrational and naive to think like this, and I'm not saying I would have taken her back, but I still really wanted to believe it. I didn't really want to think that every wonderful thing she ever did or said to me had all been a lie. But maybe it actually was. Maybe she thought it would be fun to screw with me. Maybe it was all just a sick joke that she planned.

Right now I'm questioning everything that's ever happened between us. Every 'I love you', all the nights she would stay with me while I just cried, every smile she brought to my face, every time she made me feel like luckiest person in the world because she loved me. I'm questioning it all! I wanted to believe it was real, but now I really don't think it ever was.

"Why are you telling me this?" I say, trying to keep my voice steady and the tears from spilling out of my eyes.

"I'm telling you this because their engagement party is in a month. Adrianna's grandmother lives a little over an hour north from you. She is unable to fly, so they are having the party there so she is able to attend. I expect you and your brother to be there!"

"No! There is no fucking way in hell I'm going!" I yell and Evan turns to look at me with concern.

Suddenly right now I'm not even upset about Adrianna anymore, I'm too pissed off to be upset about her. I knew no good would come out of answering the phone, I knew the bastard was going to do or say something that would get to me, but not this. This is just cruel!

"I honestly don't want you there. Had they been having it in New York I could say you were studying out of state and were unable to make it, but seeing as its being held so close to you that's no longer true, so we have no choice. There are going to be a lot of very important people and clients there and it's crucial that we keep up appearances. So you will be there and you will behave yourself!"

Of course he wants to protect his fucking image. The only person he's ever truly cared about was himself, he certainly could never care about his children.

"You think I give a fuck about your image?! I'm not fucking going!" I yell again. Evan's suddenly by my side trying to ask me what's wrong, but I just shake my head at him.

"This is why I wanted to talk to you myself. I knew you were going to throw a tantrum. You are going to be there and you will behave yourself or I'm cutting you and your brother off!" he threatens me and I just scoff.

"You really think we give a fuck about your money?! We don't need it. There isn't a single thing you could say that would make me go!"

"You sure about that?" he asks, sounding so sure of himself.

"I'm more than fucking sure! I haven't been more positive about anything in my life!"

"You don't want to think about this rationally for a second? What are you going to do if I cut you off huh? Are you going to get a job? How much money do you think you could possibly make? Certainly not enough to pay your rent. Where are you going to live once you're kicked out of that very nice apartment I pay for? How are you going to support that child of yours? So think very hard Avery, what are you going to do?"

By the time he finishes I'm so mad that I can't say anything. Right now I'm clenching my fist so hard that my nails are digging into my skin. I feel like it should hurt, but it doesn't. I numb to the pain, the only thing I'm feeling is complete unadulterated anger.

I'm so pissed, he knows he has me. The fucking bastard knew it the second he mentioned Liam. I'm so furious right now that I feel like punching a wall. Evan can see how upset I am and is trying to calm me down, but it won't work. It can't work; I don't think I've ever been this mad in my life, and that's really saying something.

"I take it from your silence that you realize I'm right. So, I expect you to be there and on your best behavior. I'll have my assistant email you the details.... Oh and don't bring that brat of yours! It doesn't make either of us look good!" he says and then hangs up on me and something in me just snaps.

"THAT MOTHERFUCKING BASTARD!!!" I yell as I throw my phone at the wall.

"Avery, what's wrong? Talk to me please!" Evan says calmly.

I can tell that he's really worried, but I'm still to furious to talk. I just sit right where I am, close my eyes and take deep breaths.

I always believed my father was a bastard, but I feel as though he's reached a whole new level.

Why would he do this? It can't be just because he wants to protect his precious image, I never really bought that to begin with. The only conclusion I can come to is that he honestly just wants to hurt me. I know he doesn't love me anymore, actually I'm pretty sure he never did love me to begin with. But no matter how much he hates me, I never thought even he could ever be this cruel.

"Avery, please tell me what's wrong," I hear Evan whisper, but I don't respond. I just continue to take deep breaths as I try to not completely break down.

After a couple minutes I finally feel myself start to calm down slightly. When I open my eyes I see Evan standing next me and he's looking at me like he's scared.

Why? Is he scared of me? Or for me?

I close my eyes again and lean against the back of the counter as I take a few more deep breaths before I tell him everything that just happened.

I knew I never should've answered the phone! I don't think I've ever regretted anything more!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authors Note:

For inquiring minds; yes, I'm still going to post a chapter tomorrow. Lucky you!

Please, vote/comment/follow.

Thanks for reading and supporting this book! :)