Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Avery's POV

School starts in two days and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but at least I'll have Shannon there to help me through it. While I'm nervous, Liam on the other hand couldn't be more excited for his first day.

While we were shopping the other day he told just about every other person in the store that he's going to be in kindergarten, which is still a fact I'm struggling to wrap my head around. I can't believe how fast he's growing up, it feels like he was just learning to walk last week.

My thoughts are interrupted by the ringing of my phone. For some reason as I'm reaching for it, I find myself hoping it's Mia. I pick it up and see Shannon's name popping up on the caller ID. Of course it's her, it's always her.

"Hey!" I say into the phone.

"Where the hell have you been? Why haven't you been answering your damn phone? It's been days since I saw you leave with the sexy blonde and I've been dying to know all the details."

"Way to just skip over the pleasantries," I mumble over the phone and I know she's probably rolling her eyes. "And what the hell makes you think I want to give you the details? Did you ever think that maybe that was the reason I didn't answer my phone? Also why did you even bother calling so damn much? Usually by now you would have broken down my door for ignoring you for this long."

"First off, you sure as hell never had a problem giving me the details before, and I'm quite sure this times no different." I just roll my eyes at that. "And lastly, believe me when I say I'm pissed that you've been ignoring me, I would have come and kicked your ass by now if I could've. My grandmother came into town and apparently I had to be the one who was in charge of entertaining her. All of which you would have known if you answered your fucking phone!"

"Geezes! Do you speak to your grandmother with that mouth?" I joke.

"Shut up, Avery! Look, can you get your brother to watch over that demon child of yours, so we can grab lunch and talk?" I can't help but laugh at how she refers to my son, I know perfectly well that she's not serious. I know she loves him probably just as much as I do, and would do just about anything for him.

"Evan took him to the park an hour ago to give me a break. The little monster's been jumping around the house for days. He's so excited to start kindergarten on Monday."

"Ha! That excitement isn't going to last. Soon he's going to be dreading going to school, just like any other sane human being."

"Hey! I like school!" I say feeling personally attacked. What's wrong with school? I've always liked school.

"Like I said, any other sane human being," she says mocking me and I choose to just ignore her comment. I refuse to give her the pleasure of arguing with me. "Okay, so you're free for lunch then?"

"Yeah," I say reluctantly into the phone, not really wanting to go just to be bombarded with her questions, but I know I don't have a choice. If I don't go, she will just come here and at least in a public place she might try and contain herself. Hopefully...

"Good! I'll meet you at the usual restaurant in an hour," she says just before hanging up.

I throw my phone on my bed, grab a towel out of the closet and head to the bathroom to take a shower. I love Shannon, I really do, but I swear she really gets on my nerves sometimes. I wish she would understand that me ignoring her calls meant I didn't want to talk about it.

But of course she wouldn't be Shannon if she didn't push until she got every little bit of information out of me. I guess I would be lying if I said some part of me didn't love how much of a pain in the ass she is.