Chapter 54

Chapter 54

Avery's POV

"You look like shit!" Evan says to me when I walk into the kitchen early Monday morning.

"Thanks," I mumble as I pour myself a cup of coffee.

After Mia left Saturday night I was pretty much unable to sleep all weekend. In the last two days I think I got a combined total of maybe six or seven hours of sleep.

I had really gotten used to falling asleep next to her. I'd gotten so used to her being around that her not being there just doesn't feel right. With her gone I realized just how much better I slept when she was laying there next to me, and I truly miss her.

"Have you figured out what you're going to do yet?" Evan asks and I shake my head.

"No, I haven't," I tell him and he sighs.

I literally spent the whole weekend thinking about Mia and what to do about what we have. I can't give her what she wants, I haven't changed my mind on that. But I don't know if I should really continue going on like this.

I've been thinking that if she decides that she doesn't want to end it, then maybe I really should just end what we have myself. I thought I could live with the pain of losing her, but I haven't lost her yet and the pain is almost too much to handle. If this keeps going on between us then the pain will only get worse.

I don't want to go through that pain, and I definitely don't want her have to go through it. I know what the consequences of continuing this are, I know the right thing to do would be to bow out, but I still don't want to end it. I don't want to lose her, but I still can't give her what she wants. And that makes me a truly awful person.

"I'd give you my opinion, but you already know what it is. And I know you wouldn't listen anyways, so I would just like to state for the record that you are a huge idiot!" he says and I sigh.

"Such kind words coming from my own brother!" I say and he shrugs his shoulders.

"Am I wrong?" he asks and I don't respond to his question. He's not wrong. I've admitted to it, multiple times actually. And yet despite knowing this I still keep doing what I'm doing.

"I'm going to go wake up Liam," I tell him. I take another sip of my coffee before setting it down on the counter and heading towards Liam's room.

I've debated what I should do all weekend and it seems impossible that I'm going to come to a conclusion on my own. I think what's best is to talk to Mia and see what she wants to do, and then decide from there.

><><><><><><><><><><

"Are you still going to be an idiot?" Shannon asks me when I meet her outside the school, causing me to groan.

"Shut up!" I say as I walk past her and into the school.

As we are approaching our classroom I see Mia still standing at the door.

"Morning," she says as we pass by her. She doesn't smile or even make eye contact with me and it breaks my heart.

As I take a seat at my desk I really take the time to look at her. It looks like she hasn't slept in days, and has been crying, she honestly looks hurt and I know it's my fault. I know I'm the reason she's like this and I feel really horrible about it.

After the last few students file into the classroom, she closes the door and tells us to just do any work we have from any other classes before she goes and silently sits at her desk.