Chapter 2

Chapter 2

(Flashback)

Adrianna and I were both in my bed room, taking turns finishing off what was the rest of a bottle of vodka I had found in the kitchen, while watching some crappy romantic comedy; then suddenly out of nowhere I felt her lips briefly press against my own. It lasted a few seconds before she pulled away, but she stayed close enough so our bodies were still touching. I was shocked, all I could do was just stare at her with my eyes wide as she just smiled back at me. However, she must have taken note of my expression and taken it the wrong way, because that beautiful smile of hers, the one I had come to love, just as quickly as it appeared, it vanished and was replaced with a frown. She moved further away from me, probably thinking she was making me uncomfortable.

'Sorry, I don't know what pushed me to do that...' she trailed off, turning away and no longer making eye contact with me.

I continued to just sit there and stare at her as she now looked at the TV, watching as the last scenes of the movie, I now couldn't care less about, played out on the screen. I was unable to say anything, move or even think clearly.

Probably not knowing what to make of my silence, or maybe because I was still staring at her, she turned back towards me. She still refused to make eye contact, but continued talking, 'I really am sorry. The vodka must not have me thinking straight...' she joked and trailed off with a shaky laugh, while running a hand through her beautiful golden locks.

Yet, I still just sat there, saying nothing. Eventually she brought her beautiful hazel eyes back to mine. I could see that she was nervous, that much was clear, I could see it represented clearly on her face and in her eyes. And I couldn't help but wonder why. Why did she do it? I didn't think the vodka could be the only reason, could it? After all, they say that alcohol gives you the courage to do the things that you couldn't do while sober. But maybe that was just my wishful thinking. Maybe because I so desperately wanted to be more than friends, I was trying to see something that wasn't there.

I could hear the music from the movie, that we had long forgotten, start to play as the credits rolled. I had seen enough romantic comedies to know I didn't miss anything, whatever problem the couple was having eventually got fixed, the guy got the girl and they lived happily ever after. The now empty bottle of vodka lay between us, as we just continue to stare at each other. That's what we did, for what felt like hours, but was mostly likely less than a few minutes. We sat there in silence, just staring at each other, waiting for someone to say something.

'Why?' I whispered, barely managing to speak.  I just couldn't take the silence anymore I needed to know why she did it. If I didn't find out, it would kill me.

'What?' she asked. She clearly didn't expect me to speak, considering the look of surprise on her face.

'Why did you kiss me?' I managed to ask a little louder and more clearly.

She just sat there for a few moments silent once again, just staring at me. The room was incredibly quiet now, the credits of the forgotten movie now finished rolling, neither of us was speaking, the only sound was that of our shallow breaths. I had to say something, I hated this continuous silence, it had me drowning in a pool of anxiety. But before I could think of something to say, she finally spoke again.

'I told you the vodka...' she started to say but I cut her off.

'No, tell me the real reason!'

She moved uncomfortably on the bed, shifting positions slightly. She clearly wanted me to drop the subject, but I knew then that the vodka wasn't the only reason, it couldn't be. I was absolutely convinced that the answer she gave me wasn't the truth, well at least not the whole truth. I knew that the real reason she did it, had to be the same reason I wanted it to be, or at least I hoped with everything in me that it was.