Chapter 49

Chapter 49

"What?" I just barely manage to say and she smiles down at me.

"I said that I love you," she says again and I smile at her.

"That's what I thought you said," I say before kissing her again.

I have no idea what else to say right now. I wish I could have seen this coming, but I really didn't. Yes, I suspected and I had a strong feeling she might; the way she was looking at me and kissing me definitely suggested that she did, but I never thought she would ever verbally say it.

Knowing that she loves me makes me so incredibly happy. I always hoped she would, and I definitely wanted her to. But I had finally came to the conclusion that even if I felt like she did, I never wanted to know for sure; at least not unless this was going to last. Now even if it doesn't, I now know for absolute certainty that she does. And just like that I'm absolutely screwed.

She suddenly pulls away from me and I open my eyes to look at her to see that she suddenly looks a little upset. "I just fucked up big time, didn't I?" she asks and when I don't respond she lets out a sigh. "I thought so," she says as she rolls off me and on to her side between me and the back of the couch.

We drift into silence as I just stare up at the ceiling and I can feel her watching me. "On a scale of one to ten, how badly did I fuck up right now?" she asks after a minute.

I turn my head and just silently look into her eyes for a few seconds before answering. "My answer depends on whether or not you've changed your mind on where this is going," I say and she gives me a sad look.

"I haven't," she says and I nod my head and look at her for a couple more seconds before training my eyes back up to the ceiling. That's exactly what I knew she would say.

"Then I would say about a hundred," I say and she lets out a sad laugh.

"Fair enough," she sighs.

I turn my head back to look at her and give her a small smile. "For the record, hearing you say it made me incredibly happy. It's just..." I trail off and she nods her head in understanding.

"I know," she says with a sad smile. "This is how I felt when I heard you say it last night," she says and I let out an irony filled laugh.

"Cleary, neither of us were exactly ready to say it, let alone hear it," I say.

"Clearly," she says and then sighs. "What are we going to do about this?" she asks and I shrug my shoulders as I look into her eyes.

"No idea."

"I don't suppose you have changed your mind about what you want?" she asks and I shake my head slightly.

"Not a chance!"

"I didn't think so," she says with another sigh. "You know if we continue to do this, we would be huge idiots," she says and I let out a small laugh.

"Layla has been telling me that since the day we started this and I have yet to disagree with her. In fact she told me yesterday that I was an idiot for coming over here."

"In retrospect, maybe you shouldn't have," she says sadly and I shake my head.

I turn on my side to face her as I rest my head on my arm. With my free hand I cup the side of her face. "I don't regret any of it," I say and she gives me a small smile. "I don't regret coming over here, and I don't regret saying that I love you because it's the absolute truth. I just really wish this would last."