Chapter 38

My phone rang as soon as I walked out of the office. Evan was busy in a meeting and he told me to head home. I nodded. Turns out the car was just mugged by some local gangs still he insisted that I should keep the bodyguards with me, stubborn, stubborn man, didn't learned to take no for an answer.

I picked up the phone and it was my best friend Arijit. Turns out he and Sue hit good and it had been a month since, they already had moved in together and going strong. I only hope they have a happy future together.

"I know it would be few hours but I wanted to be the first one to wish, so happy birthday my daring dear bests girlfriend." I laughed. "I thought Sue was your girlfriend not me." I can visualize him pouting and he looks cute doing it. " You know what I mean, you are still my number one." It made me laugh more as I turned on the ignition.

Evander took some of his precious time and taught me how to drive a car, so that and he quoted I can travel independent of anyone and without any help. "Is Sue there? Is she is hearing you?" I asked.

"Crystal" Sue said. "Happy Birthday Ani, I will see you soon." Sue said. "Ok, meet you tomorrow in Uni, I hope this one goes well it is our last paper, and I think we all need a little bit rest after that." I said. "Yea, are you still up for that Miami trip?" she asked. "Yes, I think so." I said. "Great I will inform the others" She said happily.

The phone went dead, shit I forgot to charge my battery. I heard few flashing lights, someone is signalling me to slow down but who? I did as per the rule and the car passed by me. Good now I can drive in peace.

Few minutes later I saw the same car standing on the roadside and then when I passed the checkpoint it started to follow me again. My intercom buzzed. "mam there is a car trailing you, whatever the case, we suggest you don't stop till you lose it or get in the safe zone alright?" Why a car is being trailing me all of a sudden?

I wonder what is going on with all these people. "mam are you there?" I heard his voice. "Yes, I am still on the line." "Mam that car is still in pursuit, I highly recommend you to drive to a interstate and you can loose it there" He said,

"Right interstate got you, I will meet you soon as soon as we clear out" I said pressing on the accelerator. "Mam I recommend you do not go dark on us, let us set out a course for you. Mr. Westbrook will not be happy knowing we let you out unprotected."

But I already did walked on that path, a path which will lead me to my ultimate doom. Or maybe I am going to going to have an adventure like no other. I drove to interstate as they had instructed.

And soon I was driving at a break neck speed my only thought were to lose the car trailing behind. I wonder why it is always me that gets into some situations, was it because I am Evan's wife? Maybe but then also, Evan had not released any official statement regarding our marriage, so no one but his close friends and family knows. And that family wants more harm than good.

I wonder if someone from their side had leaked my photo to media hence the chase. I looked behind me and there was no sign of the black SUV that was trailing me. I called my body guards "Smith, I think I lost it." I said. "Hold on mam, we will confirm about that" he said. "recommend to maintain your course and speed till we confirm mam" "copied" I replied.

"Mam you are clear to return on course, I suggest you to be swift about it" They said. "Alright, see you at home boys, dinner's on me" I said. I heard their heartfelt laughter. They are like my brothers much like goofballs. More than my guards, kind of like part of my family. Well extended family anyway. I drove into garage and parked my car. I walked out and locked the doors of the garage.

It was quite Evan have no idea about the high end car chase. I don't want his hairs turn grey with worry over me. He already have a billion dollar company to worry about. I took a warm shower and changed into something comfier.