Chapter 6

I was shocked, who these men were? And why they want to stop the wedding anyway. And why am I complaining. I should jump and dance. My father gone to talk to them. They talked in hushed tone.

I saw my father's face paled and then he looked enraged for some reason. Interesting thing however was not my father. Mr. Westbrook looked indifferent towards it.

He was constantly looking at me. Frowning for some reason. Naveen looked at them too. I wonder if he knows about this.

"Mr. Naveen you are under arrest because of trying to marry off another person while you already have a wife" What? Am I hearing this right? "And what proof you have of this?" Naveen asked.

The officer, I assume it was an officer laughed. "You are asking a police office if he have proof? While you are on the most wanted list of FBI itself? Shall I start to recite your crimes in front of your to be bride?" His face paled.

FBI's wanted list? But why? "Now will you come willingly or we have to force you to it?" he asked. He walked out willingly with the officers.

MY father came and hugged me. "I am sorry I should have listened to you" He said. People started whispering. I can hear them say ill things about my family.

Bad things about me. Like maybe I knew it all along. And how no one will marry me ever again. Or how It will forever inked along my family's name.

I was mocked. I know I would be laughed at for this. I cannot go anywhere without thinking about this incident. Even when I am the victim here. Surprisingly Mr. Westbrook stepped to the scene standing next to me and held my hand and announced.

"There will be many who will and always want to marry this wonderful girl. Why will anyone not want to marry her?" He asked.

"then why don't you prove it and marry her?" Someone said. He stopped and looked at me. "It is not your country boy, it is India, here if a bride is left on the alter, It is considered very bad. No one from any good family will ever marry her"

At this point I was in tears. I could not able to see my father go in ruins. And it is all because of a person who was not even worthy of being my husband.

"Marriage? So how do you marry a girl here?" Mr. Westbrook asked. He picked up the vermillion case from my hand and opened it. He then took some into his hand. What is he trying to prove? He suddenly stood before me and looked at my father.

"If you give me your permission I would like to marry your daughter right here and right now"

My father was speechless, I was speechless. It is too soon to decide. He slowly raised my mangtika and placed the vermillion on my head. I closed my eyes as the sensation rushed through my whole body. I don't know if it would be for good or bad.

"And now, I guess we need to take the vows." The priest was told to recite the incantation. He and I took our seven vows. Seven steps around the holy fire.

I don't know how much it means to him. But for me it means my whole life is tied to him. He is my husband, a bond I need to respect. I need to please him. I need to perform the duties of a good wife. "Touch the feet of your husband" right I need to do that too.

My mother's eyes narrowed. "Wait," Mr. Westbrook said as I was bending down to touch his feet. He pulled me up. "This is your tradition not mine, we treat our better half as our equal" he said.

He hugged me softly and placed a kiss on my forehead surprising everyone. "Tomorrow morning I want to see you in white and in the nearest church here" He said as we walked towards our room for the night.