Chapter 4

As we reached home it was already decorated like it was some auspicious festival. But it was more like my death they are celebrating.

My father got out first then he got out. I was the last one to get out. I looked at my house and wondered if my whole family knew and I who was the one getting married have no idea about it.

My father walked towards the house but Mr. Westbrook stopped and waited for me. "You are not coming?" he asked. "I will be inside in few minutes. Go ahead" I said softly not looking at him. "I want to wait for you" I looked up and he seems very much sincere. I don't know how to thank him. I might have just found an unlikely friend.

"Come on, let's get inside, let's not keep your jerk fiancé waiting. Or maybe your father will think that I am up to no good" He smiled. "Are you?" I asked. He came close like very close to me and I can feel his breath on my face.

"What do you think? Am I up to any good?" His voice was barely an whisper. And that again sent shivers down my spine. I don't know why.

He moved backwards. And smiled coyly again. And then he waited for me to move. I did and he walked beside me. His feet falling in pace with mine. I was so much in peace. I have always been told to let someone lead me.

My father lead me throughout my life. Then Naveen was suppose to do so. But there is someone here who is ready to walk in my pace.

When I walked inside my mood sulked further. I look at my house decorated for something that was suppose to be a fairy tale. But instead it is a nightmare. "Mr. Westbrook let me show you your room" My father said. "Sure Mr. Roy, I must say you got an incredible house" He said walking away.

I walked into my room tired more emotionally than physically. I put my bag down and something peeked out of it. A red little packet. Something he had given me. I pulled it out carefully and peeled the wrapper. It had a black box from tiffny. I don't know what is in it. I opened it carefully.

Inside was a platinum diamond pendent and chain. But what more baffling for me was that the pendent was an angel. Beautiful it was with little mesh of wings carved with diamond and the hands were joined together in prayer.

It must have cost him a fortune. Then again why give a girl whom you had met only twice this much expensive gift?

Someone knocked the door and I quickly hid the pendent between my clothes. My mother came inside and sat beside me. "Ani, are you too tired to come and look at the jewelleries I have selected for you?" She asked me. "Maa, I am tired, I know what you have selected would be good. Have you ever saw me complaining before?"

Yes, mom you can select my life partner without asking me but when it comes to jewelleries you are asking me why? "But I want your opinion. You know? I want you to look as a princess." She said softly pushing my hair behind my ear.

"I will wear whatever you select ma, Now please can I sleep I am very much tired" I said softly. After she left I closed the door and dressed in something comfortable. Also, I placed the little box beside my bed and tried to close my eyes.

Next day was very busy one. I don't even realised when it started and when it ended. By the night I was dead tired and I have viewed everything that they had put so graciously for me. My hands were filled with henna.

And to my surprise that my father was not there. And Mr. Westbrook was also not present. My eyes almost closed as I saw someone came inside my room and kept something on the table. But I was to tired to see.

Another call came and I didn't looked at it. Then my phone rang again. It was Mr. Westbrook. I picked it up and he said "Did you look at the note by your table" I was jolted awake and find a small piece of paper and it says "Every girl deserves a last day to live as herself, so are ready to experience the same?"