Chapter 2

New York City somewhere I always wanted to visit. I wanted to experience what this city has to offer before I can forever be tied to a person whom I don't know properly. Another reason that father bought me here to introduce me to Naveen, his best friend's son. Apparently, he came to NY few years ago after he graduated and did his masters from here. Also, he works in a Law firm here.

I was waiting for my future in law in a nearby café. So far, nothing good had ever happened. Suddenly someone tapped on my shoulder. I was almost shocked to see the owner of the greyish-green eyes. Yes, it was none other than Mr. Westbrook. "Miss Roy we meet again" He said softly kissing my hand. Am I in heaven? Because I have that feeling of being royalty right now.

"Where is your father? And why on earth would he left his little daughter all by herself in an unknown city?" did I detect anger inside his words? Yes, indeed it is there. "oh no, he didn't. He had some work to do so he dropped me here and told me to wait for Naveen" Now I see he is concentrating hard on my words until his eyes narrowed.

"Who is Naveen?" he asked. "I am Naveen Sen Mr. Westbrook and the one you are taking to is my future bride." He looked shocked. "Did you two are engaged?" He asked me. "Yes, we are" I tried to smile but there is nothing to be thrilled about. Because as much as I hate Mr. Westbrook at least I know him a little. But Naveen is a complete stranger to me. "Congrats to you too. Why don't you take him as your plus one for my party this weekend?" He asked looking at Naveen.

But he already beat me in answering. I don't like the person who wont let me speak in their presence not unlike Mr. Westbrook who seems amused at my every word. Never angry. Always amused. "I think we cannot attained Mr. Westbrook because we are going back to India and getting married in couple of days."

"What? I thought you are going to give me few more years to peruse my dreams" I looked at Mr. Westbrook who looked at me sympathetically. I don't need your sympathy I need your help Mr. Westbrook. "You know she is right, she also got accepted to NYU for the program. And they even said that she might be one of the best students there." It was my turn to be surprise. When did he managed to do that?

"I did?" I asked. Mr. Westbrook nodded. It was like this bubble around us. When he is near I can see or hear no one else. "That's great Mr. Westbrook for taking my fiancée's future into consideration. But I don't think so she needs to study right now. What she needs to do is be my wife and give me a child. I am not getting young I am already thirty." That will make him twelve year older than me.

Never a good thing. "I am twenty eight but do you see me whining about having an heir and I do need one because I am owner of a multi-billion dollar company but you Mr. Sen are a nobody." That was insulting. But he is right. They don't have any right to tell me how I can or cannot live my life at all. "Mr. Westbrook, it was decided that she will be his wife before even she was born. And because it is decided it is solely his decision what he wants to do with her in his later life." Mr. Westbrook looked at me with a strange kind of determination. I don't know what is going through his head.

He looked at my father. "So, is she your only child Mr. Roy?" Mr. Westbrook asked my father. "No, I have another daughter and a son, both are happily married to the person their family wanted to." That was directed at me. I knew what he was going to say. I did everything for you, but you insolent child going to repay like this? Yes, pretty much dialogue I hear every single day.

Mr. Westbrook smiled at us and said "If she was my daughter I will put her wishes before mine and others. That is how we treat our daughter and life partners." Naveen fumed and said "She is not yours, she is mine and I can deal with her anyway I like to. If I said she will only be a housewife she will. No further questioned asked." My father stayed silent when Naveen held me tightly. That is going to bruise.

"Pardon me for interrupting, I must go now I have a very important meeting to attend to." Mr. Westbrook said. My father nodded. "Mr. Westbrook you are invited to my daughter's wedding This Saturday." The day of his birthday. Then my father produced a wedding card. Right how much time do I have now? I think few days, like three in my hand.

Mr. Westbrook took the card and tucked it inside his coat pocket. "I will not miss it for the world." I still think he is planning something. I don't know what. But I hope it all work in my favour. I hope it is something that can benefit me. "He is a womaniser, don't think he can be your saviour Anika" Naveen said in a low voice so I can hear it only.

I think he can, for some reason I believe he came into my life just before my horrible wedding for some reason. That night I returned to hotel feeling nauseous and unable to eat anything. The news was enough to put me off food for days. I looked at my arm and there they were bruises forming around it. So are around my wrist.

I don't know what my father was thinking doing this horrible thing to me. I am just eighteen. I knew I was going to get married but this soon was not something I ever wished for and to someone who treats me this much badly. I fell down on bed and tears escaped my eyes. Suddenly my phone beeped and I looked at it.

There was a text message from an unknown number saying

"Angels always watch over other beautiful angels and I am sure god have a beautiful plan for his most precious angel"

I don't know who it was from but somehow it cheered me up. Making me hope against all that maybe this whole thing can still very much turn around. Maybe I can still escape my fate and my unfair life till now. The NYU sounds great, I want to study here. I want to work for mankind. I don't want to be cooped up in house all day and worship my husband. I too believe that you should be able to communicate freely with your partner. Share your best and worse. But I don't know if I can have that partner ever.

The next day rolled in and it was my time to say good bye to the city. We are getting married in my native place Kolkata. And sadly, that might be where I will stay forever. I know I thought that I never wanted to see Mr. Westbrook again but right now, I am ready to tolerate him too if that means that not living a complete nightmare. My bags were packed as they were never were unpacked in the first place. This whole trip had turned into a disaster.

My father smiled at me fondly. "You know I will chose the right one for you. You have always believed in me why not now? If I thought he will not be right for you would I ever had suggested that you marry him?" More like forced. Like you said destined before I was even born. So, how can you say I will be happy. "You know Dad I will never disappoint you with anything" But please don't throw me to crocs.

"I know my sweet little angel that is why I am so much proud to have you as daughter." He said. However, the bruises on my body don't lie. And the fun fact, Naveen didn't even apolosized for hurting me. As we were living the hotel I came face to face with Mr. Westbrook again. He came here for us to sign some papers. And he wanted my signatures too. Kind of like some trustee or nominee or something.

Yes, it is. I don't know anything about legal stuff but I think he does. "You can always travel in my private jet. It is convinent." He said suddenly. "Thank you Mr. Westbrook but our return tickets have already been booked and I don't think we can ever take more of your generosity." My father politely declined.

"Ok, I will tell my driver to take you to airport." My father wanted to say no but he insisted. And we ended up getting in two cars. He insisted that I travel with him in his Lamborghini. And my father and Naveen gets in other. Before anyone can protest I was already inside his car and he reversed it.

"How much time till you have that flight?" He asked. "I don't know four hours or so?" I said confused. "Tell me Anika if I ask you to run away with me and escape it all will you do it?" he asked. It was a pretty tempting idea but no I cannot taint my family name for a mere insecurity. "I cannot Sir, for it will only taint my father's name." I replied truthfully.

"I understand Anika. Do you like something to eat? I want to spend sometime with you before you go away" He said. How could I say no? I nodded and he droved off to our destination.

Word Count: 1671 words