Chapter 14

He looked at me and walked towards me. He softly pulled me up and held me against him. He wiped my face. And kissed my forehead making everyone gasp.

He pulled back his chair and sat down gently he pulled me down. He made me sit on his lap and fed me the first bite, like he is done quite few times. I wasn't expecting him to do that here in front of all these people.

Everyone resumed eating. Edna served us happily. After we are done with the Dinner Edna served coffee and cakes. She retreated back to the kitchen after serving us. I wanted to get up but his grip tightened on me. He slowly raised his cup and slightly made a noise with his spoon. Everyone looked at him.

"Today I invited you all here to celebrate a very special occasion, I wanted you all to meet with very special someone. My wife Mrs. Anika Evander Westbrook." He pointed to me and everyone gasped at this. The girl from before looked at me icily. "You cannot be serious Evander She is just help"

"Not another word about my wife Jennet, I am tolerating you for far too long time. I don't want anyone here to talk trash about my wife ever again." He said acidly. Everyone turned silent. And he looked at me. "Do you need anything more Angel?" He asked. "N...No I am fine thank you" He nodded still not letting me go.

People recovered from their initial shock and then congratulated him. "Evan I am glad it is not she witch you had married to" Someone said. Mr. Westbrook laughed at this. It is the first time I am hearing him laugh. His laugh was contagious. "baby, meet my childhood best friend Ken." He said. "Ken as in barbie and ken?" They looked at me. And then I realised I thought out loud. Ken burst out laughing.

"I like her a girl with sense of humour" Ken said. "Sadly madam I haven't found my barbie yet, probably I just like to have an Indian one?" He looked at me. Mr. Westbrook pulled me behind him. "Don't hit on my wife" Ken raised his hand in surrender and said. "Never in million years I can think of doing this, but I sure want to get to know your wife so how about a day at my place like the old times?" He asked. "Sure"

Everyone left after a while leaving me and Mr. Westbrook alone. "You drew quite an attention tonight. I have to say you have a kind of charm to yourself." He said. "Mr. Westbrook you have to humiliate me there was no reason to call an audience for that. You could have done that in private." I tried to walk away but he held my arm and prevented me from leaving.

"I protected you from humiliation not humiliated you, you don't know what it is means to anyone to become a Westbrook lady, the position you hold right now" I tried to get out of his bruising hold. "I can see that your mistresses were so desperate to get into that position, marrying me just have made it difficult for them to claim this position Sir" I tried to pull away but he tightened his hold over me.

"Yes, I am a womaniser and yes I do love one-night stands. And it is also true that maybe you too in longer run would have become one in the long list of my women. But no, you were not because you are one in a million kind of girl, different and sassy. It is refreshing to see someone not falling down on their knees in front of me." He was very close.

"I wanted you so much, I wanted you from the first time I had met you. You have that child like innocence and you have that fierceness that is something needed in Westbrook women. You are something I became obsessed with. Nothing can make me leave my own birthday celebration. Boozing and girls but you... You did it Anika. And all of that because I couldn't lose you."

I am terrified of his confession. Once his obsession ends I will become just a trophy among many others on his self. "Let me go please" I begged. "Why? Am I not your husband? Do you not have a duty towards me?" He asked. "I do, but not over my morality. You are drunk and if you commit something horrible you will only live to regret it always sir. Just sleep it off and you will be free tomorrow to go to one of your mistresses."

He did the unexpected. He threw me over his shoulder and carried me to his bedroom. He put me down on his bed. I really don't like where it is going. "I don't need no Mistresses I have a beautiful wife at home waiting for me. And you know the best thing is? She is all mine for taking. And nothing can ever take that away from me."

"A wife that you don't love?" I questioned back. "Love is not a factor in this relationship or any. For me, it is all about pleasure. It could based on mutual understanding. I don't love you. And I can never love you. You are not my first priority my business is. I single handed raised it from scratch to the high rise you see today. And I don't care about hurting anyone in the process to keep it that way." He said,

The words were harsh but at least they were true. And so were my sister's words. He will spin me and then he will lock me up in a shelf. I know what my position was in his life, I am just a wife in name just like I always knew I will be. Then again I wonder would it be like this if it was not him I married but it was someone who had truly loved me?

I saw him and he was peacefully asleep beside me. He must have been tired. I stood up and looked at him. I removed his shoes and shocks and his jacket and placed a Duvet over him. This should do for now. I smiled and quietly walked out of his room. Now I know there was nothing I can expect from him. And also I don't really expect anything from anyone. I never did.

"Here it will help trust me" Edna said placing a glass on the desk. She left after that. I slowly sipped the dark liquid it seem to calm down my nerves a little. I got dressed for bed in the cloths he got for me. I have to go to shopping for something normal soon. Yes I am his wife, I have to look like his wife in public that doesn't mean I have to be too like that in private.

The next morning rolled off and I opened my eyes to see him looking at me. He doesn't look pleased. "Mr. Westbrook, good morning" He said nothing to that. So he is angry? I wonder why. "Why are you here?" He finally asked. "Ummm.... I live here and you married me so..." I paused as his expression turned icy. "I mean why are you here? As in not in my room, I thought you ran away"

I wanted to laugh at this. "Where can I ran away to? I have no were to go here." I said. "So if you had somewhere to run you would have by now right?" He asked. "Why are you questioning me that Sir, you know I cannot run. I am bound with you for rest of my life and I will do nothing that will ever bring shame to you or my family." He harshly pulled me to him. "Do not play smart with me." He said. "I am not I am just stating the facts sir" I told him.

He looked at me and said "You are my wife and it is about time you start to act like my wife." My phone rang and I about to pick it up but he beat me to it. "Westbrook" He said. "No she cannot come at phone she is busy right now." He paused again. "Ok I will let her know. And I will tell her to call you back" He said and cut the phone.

"Who was it?" I asked. "Someone names Matt and something about a practice at four" Right how can I forget about it. "I have to change and I have to attained my classes so please can I have my privacy?" I asked him.

"What is so wrong in changing here in front of me. I am your husband after all." He said. "Yes, I know that well Mr. Westbrook. But you cannot control every aspect of my life. I have right to refuse to you. Even when you are my husband"

I picked up my normal cloths and he frowned at me. "Why not wear something from what I have bough you?" He asked. "because sir, the college and the practice is something out of my duty time from being Mrs. Anika Evander Westbrook. It is there I am just me Anika Roy. And I don't want to taint my precious time with this lavishness, why do you think I never told my friends that I am married to you?"

I locked the bathroom door and let the warm water fall all over me. I touched my arm it was little bruised and so are other places. I hissed as the water touched my cuts from last night. A little reminder of what happened yesterday. I know I have to keep my family honour intact. But it is becoming a little too much for me.

Maybe I always knew that I have to marry someone of my family's choice or I always had knew that I will never be happy with my marriage but marrying a cold hearted person is something I never expected. I never expected to find myself alone locked under the roof caged and chocking for the little bit of freedom.

I fell down and tears finally escaped. All these have drained me. I always had in my fantasy to find a husband who can take care of me like my father did but he is my father I always tend to forget this. It looks like things will never turn out for the better.

Word Count: 1766 words