Thirty Six: Broken Promises

Y/N POV
I couldn't wait to get out there and see Remus again. It's been so long and I really want to be with him again, I just needed time and so did he and now it's about time.

I twirled around the room, my nerves almost crushing me like a boulder. But at the same time, I was extremely excited and happy to actually be going to this Halloween dance with none other than Remus effing Lupin. I know he's the nerdy sort that isn't even noticed but... When you look into his chocolate brown eyes all you can see is kindness and even when you're having a horrible day you can still find comfort in just looking in his eyes. Something a lot of the boys around here at Hogwarts don't have.

After getting completely ready Me and Narissa, plus quite a few Slytherin girls, began bickering about all the juicy gossip that was happening around the school. Turns out, there's a lot of stuff happening around me that I wasn't even aware of. But I guess that's the thing with schools and being the outcast.

The 6 pm bell chimed gently off in the distance and the Slytherin dorms all erupted with excited and nervous students, I bet you could hear the squeals echoing around the dungeons. The common room swarmed with people who were all trying to pile out of the doors at the same time as each other, which didn't end well, resulting in one student getting sent to the infirmary.
As I made my way to the great hall along with the other Slytherin girls, I saw many familiar faces, mainly my friends from Gryffindor, who were giving disapproving looks toward me and the other girls. Who cares though, tonight is the Halloween dance and nothing can bring me down from this.

I walked through the giant wooden doors of the great hall. It really looked magnificent. The floating candles were replaced by the soft glow of jack 'o lanterns and the smell of pumpkin spice swirled through the air engulfing me like a warm, loving hug. 

"Hey Y/N! Over here!" Waved Remus trying to get my attention over the loud chatter and music. I whipped around to where he and his friends where. He looked amazing, he really knew how to clean himself up. He wore black dress robes with a dark green bow tie to match my dress, even though, frankly, he didn't look like himself, his hair was still the same old shaggy hair he usually had.

"Woah Riddle," He started, "You look beautiful,"

"You're not so bad yourself, Lupin, but what the hell is that?"

"This?" He asked pointing to his bow tie getting a giggle from me, "It's a bow tie... Bow ties are cool,"

"You look smoking," Sirius smirked putting his arm around my shoulders getting a slight growl from Remus, "Ok, ok wolf boy. I'll back off,"

"Well... do you wanna go dance?" I asked Remus after a few awkward seconds of silence.

"Umm, I don't know, to be honest, I can't really dance,"

Snatching his hand, I practically dragged him to the dance floor, "It's not that hard. Come on!"
Yes, granted he was a pretty bad dancer but yet again so was I. Either way, I still had an incredibly fun time just being with him so, at the end of the day, I didn't care if he could dance or not.

"Hey, I'll go get some drinks, I'll be back... I promise" He yelled over the loud music while looking at his watch. It had just hit 9:30 PM. I just nodded, taking a seat at the nearest bench while watching him disappear into the crowd of people.

"Hey sweetheart," chimed the voice of McLaggen (Cormac McLaggen's dad) plonking himself right next to me.

Scooting away from him, I ask, "What do you want?" He had always been the creeping flirty type, I hope if he ever has children when he's older they won't inherit that creepy side of him.

"Nothing much... So, where did your date go?" 

"He went to go get me a drink,"

"You do realize he went towards the exit of the great hall... The drinks are on the opposite side of the hall," He continued putting his hand around my shoulder.

"So what are you doing? Spying on Remus and I now? And Don't you dare touch me!" I yell in his face leaping up from the bench to go see where Remus was. On my way out I notice James once again trying to seduce Lily, but as usual, he was failing miserably.

"Hey James," I said tapping him on the shoulder, "Have you seen Remus?"

"HUH?" HAVE A BEEN A PENIS? NO, I CAN'T SAY I HAVE," He yelled, the music made it almost impossible to hear people who were even standing next to you. I gestured to the door so we could talk in a more quiet place. 
While walking out I could see Peter sticking to Sirius as if they where two pieces of Velcro. Snatching Sirius' arm I pulled him along too, with Peter following him close behind.

"Do any of you know where Remus is?" I interrogated all of them when we were finally in a quiet enough place.

"W-well I-it's a-a full..." Peter stammered before both Sirius and James elbowed him hard in the ribs.

"What? What where you going to say, Pete?" I asked him raising an eyebrow and folding my arms over my chest.

"What he was going to say was... It's a full house in there, he's probably just gone on a walk to get some fresh air. You know how it is with him and large crowds of people," Sirius told me while the other two ferociously nodded. They were totally hiding something.

"Oh, I better go look for him then, you keep doing whatever you where doing before," I said starting to walk away, "Oh, and James if you really want to win Lily over just give her muggle Jaffa cakes from a week straight then she will at least make conversation with you by her own free will."

I walked as fast as I could to where Remus usually went to clear his mind. The bench under the old willow tree which sat directly in front of the great lake. However, there was no sight of him, I sat down the crisp air churned around my body. 

'I knew he could never keep a promise, why couldn't he just tell me the truth instead of just telling me he was getting us drinks. Ugh, why did I even give him a second chance?'

I whipped around as a deep growl broke my thoughts. My body froze as I tried to grasp for my wand only to realize I didn't have it on me, why didn't prom/wedding dresses have POCKETS!?

"Stay back!" I yelled at the beast that stood in front of me. However, it kept creeping towards me. 

It's glowing yellow eyes pierced into my soul, it's mouth was full of razor-sharp teeth ready to tear whatever was in it's path to shreds. It was rated an XXXXX (Known wizard killer/impossible to train or domesticate) in the fantastic beast handbook. It was a werewolf.

"STAY BACK!" I stumbling backward. I tried everything I could in that moment to make it back off but whatever I did nothing worked.

I could feel the darkness in me rising. The burning prickles starting at my feet and slowly climbing up my body, I knew this was the only way I could get out of this situation alive. But if I did that I would hurt this werewolf and even if it was a killing machine I would never hurt it.