Thirty Four: Notes Between The Pages

Y/N POV

I sat alone in the packed hall ways full of chattering students getting glaring looks from passer-byers, I just needed to get away, there were 3 hours left until next period and I couldn't take this chaos anymore. I gather myself and head towards the only place I could truly be alone at the library.

I stared at the floor trying not to make eye contact with anyone or group of people I walked past. Everyone seemed to either despise or fear me now since the majority of people now knew my secret. It was Halloween night but I couldn't care less, all it would cause is more isolation and humiliation from those around me. I just needed to find someone to talk to who wouldn't judge me for who I was or what I was.

I continued to stroll down the halls, my mind thudding as more and more thoughts flooded into my conscious. However as soon as I stepped through two large doors all I head was silence, my mind and the room was just... silent. All distractions had dissipated in seconds.

I picked up a leather-bound book the cover glistening with delicate silver and ocean blue sapphires, a smallish skull in the direct centre. Nobody seemed to ever read this book but somehow it never, and when I say never, I mean NEVER, got not a single bit dusty. I plonk myself down and let the book fall open to any page. That's when a single piece of parchment flew out between to pages and made its way down to the floor.

Glancing down at the crumpled parchment I could decipher the words and symbols to be notes on different runes inside the book. I picked it up started reading over it, each string of runes seemed to have a translation next to it except for one. I studied the combination of 24 runes which made up five different words.

I continued to look over them again and again until finally,  it clicked.

'The Fountain of Fair Fortune' it read. I picked out my quill and another piece of parchment and started scribbling.

'I see you're into runes as well.The one you seemed unable to translateis 'The Fountain of Fair Fortune.'  Hope that helped you out a bit.  If you need anything else, just write back.'- (Your first initial) : )

I slipped both pieces of parchment back into the book between the same pages as before which did indeed mark the start of the fountain of fair fortune. Hopefully, I might get a reply, maybe this person might actually not judge me or become fearful. Maybe this person can stand by my side through all this mess.

I continued on reading the rune filled book taking each word/rune into consideration.
'High on a hill in an enchanted garden, enclosed by tall walls and protected by strong magic, flowed The Fountain of Fair Fortune.' (Start of the fountain of fair fortune from the tales of Beedle the Bard)

Hours passed and it was time to leave. Obviously, I didn't want to leave but sometimes classes have to come before your own happiness, you just have to push everything aside and just focus on something else that gets you through for 8 hours before you get to do the actual things that make you feel free and happy. At least Herbology wasn't 'that' bad.

I plod back through the halls and down to the greenhouses where both Gryffindor and Slytherin classes were waiting for the professor.

Her voice started to boom around the small courtyard "Good evening students please gather around... When we get into the greenhouse I want Slytherin on the far side of the greenhouse and Gryffindor on the side closest to the door."

I froze. What dam side do I fit on? If I go to Gryffindor everyone would shove me away and make all kinds of remarks. But if I go to Slytherin the same thing would happen, so which side do I choose.

While I continued to question myself and the decision I had to make I didn't realise that all of the other students where gone and I was alone standing outside looking like a fucking idiot with a blank expression on my face.

"Miss Riddle, you can stand at one of the ends of the table if that makes you feel more comfortable." She hushed putting her hand on my back. I gave her a small smile and nodded as I headed towards the cramped greenhouse full of busy chatter. I could feel people's stares jabbing into me like millions of little pinpricks.

I stood at the head of the table trying my best to not make eye contact with anyone except for the professor herself when I head quite a lot of crashing and banging coming from the left (The Gryffindor side) causing me to look over catching the eyes of non-other than Sirius Black shoving people out of the way to get to where I was.

"Sup Riddle," His smug face said.

"Black" I replied my face completely straight and fixed on him.

"Look this is your only chance to 'receive' what I am about to give you. Kapeesh?" He chimed, smirking.

"Umm, what?" I hissed in annoyance.

"You're meant to say Kapeesh too" Sirius whispered.

"Black, I'm not dumb, I know I'm meant to say Kapeesh after you" I went on rolling my eyes.

"You know, if you roll your eyes back any further you're gonna end up seeing your own brain." He chuckled causing me to burst out laughing breaking character.

"Fine. Kapeesh" I giggled facepalming. I was expecting him to do something absurd but instead, he opened up his arms in order to give me a hug.

"What are you doing?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

"Giving you a hug?" He told me putting his arms down

"Why?"

"Because I know what it's like. Being different so then everyone rejects you and hates you, even your parents hate you. So I know from experience sometimes, you just need one person to be there for you and give you a hug," He explained "James may or may not have told us about your adoptive parents too and what you had to go through with them. Soooo..."

I couldn't hug him now, he knew everything first hand that was going on so I practically 'threw' myself at him. Kind of embarrassing but I couldn't help it.

"Thank you" I whispered to him.

"No problem. I'm here for you and are the guys so if there's anything you need, just talk to us." He said pulling away. I smile one last time then glance over his shoulder and meet the caramel brown eyes of Remus Lupin, they didn't look like they usually did, all welcoming and calm but they looked tired, ill and broken.

"Hey, Sirius... What's wrong with Remmy?" My voice full of concern towards the bedraggled boy. He glanced towards him then turned back to me.

"Nothing, he's fine." He said with a small smile.