Nineteen: Defense Against The Dark Arts

Y/N POV

As the day went on, surprisingly the usually boring classes flew past in a matter of seconds.

however, time for defense against the dark arts. Lily and I walk the crowded halls shoulder to shoulder. the noise of chattering students filled the air, probably dreading their next classes.

we walk through the huge arch way leading into the medium-sized room, an oak wardrobe positioned in the center of the room. The Professor busily filling out a stack of papers, his quill scribbling madly over the crinkled parchment.

after a couple minutes the room was once again filled with both Slytherin and Gryffindor first year students. The professor rose to his feet and cleared his throat.

"welcome students, today you will all be facing your biggest fears, does anyone here know what a Boggart is?" he affirmed. straight away Lily's hand shot straight up into the air.

"yes?" he said pointing towards Lily with a raised eyebrow.

"A Boggart is a shape-shifter that usually lurks in dark spaces. It has no definite form, taking the shape of that which is most feared by the person who encounters it. when it isn't in the sight of any witch, wizard or muggle it is said to appear like a large dark smudge" she mused.

"exactly correct, miss-miss?" he started.

"Lilly Evans, sir" she finished.

"well miss Evan, 10 points to Gryffindor," he beamed down at her.

"now class, we shall all learn the charm to 'defeat' the Boggart, Riddikulus," he went on.

"everyone repeat after me, Riddikulus" he chimed.

"Riddikulus" the whole class repeated after him.

He proceeding teaching us the pronunciation followed by the correct wand movement, until he was completely and utterly sure every single person had mastered the pronunciation and movement so we would all be prepared to face our Boggarts.

"perfect, everyone please make a nice neat line behind Miss Evans here, quickly please," he said while there was a scurry of feet on the concrete floor making a semi-neat line behind Lily.

"Are you ready Miss Evans?" he asked cautiously, which Lily nodded in reply.

he flicked the latch of the wardrobe and the doors burst open. right there in the door appeared Professor McGonagall. Even Remus, who was in front me, seemed surprised by this, until she started to speak.

"You miss Evans have FAILED your first-year exams! You shall have to retake your whole first year again to be able to graduate onto your second year at Hogwarts!" McGonagall boomed pulling out a piece of parchment with the word Troll written in red ink at the top of the page. Lily's face getting completely drained of all its colour.

"R-R-Riddikulus" she stuttered, with that the parchment disappeared and turned into none other than James Potter, falling flat onto his nose. She burst out laughing followed by the rest of the classroom. soon enough one student after the other went up to face their Boggarts and the room was echoing with laughter. only four people until my turn, Peter, James, Sirius followed by Remus and then it would be me.

Peters Boggart turned out to be Mrs Norris (i am aware that his is actually Voldemort) and after using the Riddikulus spell turned neon pink with a red clown nose.

James' Boggart was pretty dark though, as soon as he set foot in front of the wardrobe Lily appeared face down in a puddle of blood on the floor, but soon enough she was on her feet putting a flower crown upon flower crown onto James' head, this time I was the one to start off all the laughter.

Next was Sirius his Boggart was his mother at 12 grimmauld places, then Remus, his took the form of the glistening full moon which got quite a few questioning looks from people around the room. Then it was my turn.

I took three steps forward, took a deep breathe in and sighed. I raise my eyes up until they meet my Boggart positioned right in front of me. My e/c eyes met with two peoples cold shallow eyes, my parents.

my eyes started welling up with tears as they started shouting things at mine. unworthy, unwanted, a disappointment, a waste of space, those were some of the only 'PG' words they shouted at me.

I felt a dark, demon-like anger start in my head, building up, and starting to cascade down to my feet. I knew what this meant, so, I ran for it. I burst out the doors and started running through all the halls towards the dark forest. I could hear people shouting my name to come back but my feet kept going and going. adrenaline running through every vein in my body, my head pulsating, my ears ringing. My vision unable to focus on anything, my eyes change from e/c to a colour even darker than any other black ever seen.

until everything went black.