Chapter 61

Harry

A whole month and a half have gone by. Maurine and Scarlet have been growing closer. She barely talks to me.

I see the therapist every week, and every week I ask Scarlet to come with me and she refuses.

I've tried to get her to talk to me, but she refuses. Maurine is thrilled that Scarlet is opening up to her, and though it makes me happy that she's getting along with her mother, it also makes me feel kind of... I don't know, jealous? Sad?

The pain of losing my child is still there. There are days when I can't concentrate because all I think about is how our lives would've been had we not lost our baby. Was it a boy or a girl? Would she like sports? Would he like to cook? Would it have had my hair and Scarlet's beautiful eyes? Or my eyes and her hair? Her nose? My ears?

With a sigh, I try to focus back on the documents in front of me. The businesses my dad left me are doing great, and the people that work there are people I can trust, but I still need to make sure everything is running smoothly.

A soft knock breaks me out of my thoughts. I look up and see a blond girl in grey sweatpants, black hoodie, and a messy nest of curls on top of her head. Her eyes are missing that sparkle they usually held, her skin is paler, and she's lost around ten or fifteen pounds.

"Hey, Sweetheart." Her eyes meet mine and the corners of her mouth perk up just a tiny bit. "Come in, have a seat, love."

She walks in and sits in front of me. Her chest rises and falls as she takes deep breaths. "Are you busy?"

Extremely busy. But my wife is more important. "No, babe."

"We need to have a serious talk," her voice is quiet.

My heart twists at her words.

It's happening. She's going to ask me for the divorce. Goodbye second wedding. Goodbye new life. Goodbye to the love of my life.

I feel like I'm going to vomit.

"About what?" I cautiously ask. Her dainty fingers trace figures on the mahogany desk, her eyes focused on the invisible drawings she's making.

"I want to apologize," she starts. "I haven't communicated with you at all. I've been so isolated in my own depression that I never considered your feelings and how it all affected you. It's just that... when I saw you going to your training, I thought... that you didn't care." Her voice cracks and I see tears forming in her eyes. "I shut myself off and didn't even try to talk to you. I pushed you away. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I love you and I really don't want to lose and I'm scared I will because I've been so mean to you and I haven't talked to you at all and I don't know what else to say just please forgive me," the words rush out of her mouth so fast that I barely manage to understand everything she's saying. Tears stream down her face and her hands shake.

I walk around the desk and kneel beside her. She turns her body slightly in my direction and I take her hands in mine, looking up into her watery blue eyes. "Scarlet, you're not going to lose me, Sweetheart. I was scared as hell too, I thought you were going to divorce me. And believe me, it has been hard for me too. So hard, Scarlet. That was my baby, too, and I know I didn't handle it the best in the first week, but I have been suffering the loss along with you. Not only did I lose my baby, but I felt like I lost you as well for a long time." I feel tears run down my face.

She's talking to me. She's letting me touch her. She's letting me in.

"I love you, Harry. And I'm sorry." I stand up and pull her body into mine in a tight embrace. She buries her face into my chest and lets out broken sobs. My arms tighten around her, my chest absorbs her tears and all the emotions she's letting out.