Chapter 46

Harry

I power off the computer and neatly place in folders the documents I was working on. My brows come down in a frown when I check the time and realize that Scarlet has been gone for about an hour and a half, which I think is already too long. Or maybe she already got here and I didn't even notice.

Grabbing my phone, I walk out of the office and around the house, looking for my wife, but I can't find her anywhere. Not even in the library, which is where she spends most of her time.

I send her a quick text and wait for a reply while I give Teddy food and water. I check the driveway, hoping to see Scarlet's car to no avail.

I see Maura exiting the kitchen and I ask, "Maura, have you seen Scarlet?"

"I haven't seen her at all today, dear. Is there something wrong?" her eyes show concern.

I sigh in exasperation, running my fingers through my hair. "She went to the store almost two hours ago and she hasn't come back."

"Maybe she went to see her sister after? She usually visits her on Wednesdays at this time."

"No, Monique isn't in town. Her, Marcus and Lauren went on holiday." I bite my lip and stare off into the distance in deep thought. I'm pretty sure she's not with her mother since they're not on speaking terms. If she'd gone to see her friend Lauren, she would've told me.

Maura pats my shoulder in a comforting way, before excusing herself and walking away.

I check my phone for any texts I might have missed, but there are only two texts from my trainer Jake. I tap on Scarlet's name and decide to give her a call, hoping that she will answer her phone.

The phone rings and rings but Scarlet does not pick up. I try to ring her three more times but there's no answer. "Dammit, Scarlet, answer your phone," I say after the voicemail beep.

Shoving my phone into my pocket, I walk toward the front door and pick up my car keys from the hooks adjacent to the door. I swing open the front door, locking it behind me and get into my car.

I try to call Scarlet one more time, praying that the ring will cut off and her velvety voice will fill me with relief. However, a strange feeling settles in the pit of my stomach when I'm sent to her voicemail once more. I turn the ignition and once the gates open, I drive off, heading straight to the closest store.

During the drive, I try to keep myself calm. My heart is beating hard against my chest, but I keep telling myself that she will be okay. That maybe she just started looking around the store and lost track of time. Yeah, that's it. She got distracted.

Once I get to the store, I slowly drive around the car park, searching for her red car. My eyes scan every parked vehicle, without paying attention to the pedestrians. I brake suddenly when I see a woman with her child crossing in front of me. The woman pulls the child to the side and gives me a dirty look and the middle finger. I mouth my apologies and she walks away. I decide to park my car and continue my search on foot, that would be less dangerous.

I walk around the car park, searching for her car and looking around my surroundings to see if I am able to spot her blonde mane.

I spot her car and start running, I notice some people give me strange looks but I don't care. They probably think I'm crazy.

As I approach Scarlet's vehicle, I notice a couple of objects near it. Her phone and purse. This can't be a good sign at all.

At this moment my heart is practically beating out of my chest and I have trouble breathing. I pick up her phone, which now has a cracked screen, and her purse. "Fuck," I mutter under my breath, running my fingers through my hair.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I reach for it, pulling it out.

Unknown:

If I can't have her, no one can.

I feel my stomach churn as I read the text. Terror fills my body as horrible scenarios start running through my mind. The message this eight-letter text conveys makes me feel agitated and dizzy.

I lean over and empty out the contents of my stomach onto the pavement. The acid burning my esophagus. I retch a couple more times, then wipe my mouth with the hem of my black sweater.

My mind connects the dots and I realize that my wife has been kidnapped.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've received some strange threatening texts. I didn't show Scarlet because I knew she would panic. I didn't pay much attention to them, thinking that it was just someone trying to play a joke on me. But now that this has happened... God, I should've come with her!

I run back to my car, my hand shakes as I try to insert the key on the ignition. "Dammit!" I scream. I take a deep breath and successfully turn the ignition this time. I don't know what to do, I'm absolutely terrified. My dear Scarlet has been kidnapped, god knows by who. I have no idea what that person could be doing to her at this moment. I can't think straight, I try to concentrate on the road but my thoughts are running wild.

"Maura!" I call out as soon as I get home. "Maura!" My voice sounds desperate.

Maura's small frame comes into view. As soon as she sees me she quickens her pace. "Harry, dear, what's wrong? Why are you crying?" she asks. She reaches over and wipes my cheeks with her dainty fingers. I didn't realize I was crying. "What happened, dear?" her eyes focus on my hand that's holding Scarlet's purse. "That's Mrs. Styles' purse. Harry Edward Styles, tell me what has happened," she demands. I close my eyes, taking a deep breath and more tears spill down my face.

"She... Scarlet was..." I swallow hard. "Maura, my wife has been kidnapped. My Scarlet was taken from me, Maura," my voice breaks. I try to compose myself, but when Maura wraps her arms around me, I can't help but let out a sob. I drop Scarlet's purse and hug Maura back. "It's like the story is repeating itself. How come whenever I find someone and fall in love something bad always happens? It's like life doesn't want me to be happy, Maura." Even to my own ears, my voice sounds broken. I feel weak and defeated. And scared. God, I'm petrified. "If anything happens to her I won't be able to live with myself." I feel like I'm a 16-year-old boy again. The boy who lost someone he loved greatly. "I'm scared, Maura," I whisper.

Having Maura's arms tightly wrapped around me, consoling me, brings back those painful memories. "I know, dear. But Scarlet will be okay, I promise. Did you call the police already?" I shake my head. "We must do that now."

"Yeah," I sniffle. "I just need to call mummy and Gemma first. I need them here."

"Of course, love." She wipes away my tears and walks with me to the living room.

***

It is now nighttime. My mum and sister are sitting next to me, comforting me. I called Scarlet's sister and mother. Monique said she'd get in the first available flight to London, and Maurine... well, she didn't pick up.

The police were here earlier, and though they said that about 72 hours needed to pass by before a person could be reported missing, I was able to make some arrangements and they have now opened an investigation. The police managed to get the tapes from the security cameras and are now looking for anything that will help us find Scarlet.

God, please let her be okay. Please.

Marrying a Boxer | H.S.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara