Chapter 52

"What about this one?" Harry asks, pointing at a large, fake tree.

I inspect it, biting my lip as I picture it inside our home. "No," I shake my head. "I mean, the length is perfect, but it's kind of thin, don't you think?"

"I think it looks exactly like the other 10 we've seen, Sweetheart." He scratches the back of his head.

I walk closer to him and wrap my arms around his torso. "Honey," I say, "this is going to be our first Christmas together."

"Not-"

"As a happily married couple," I interrupt. "Our actual first Christmas sucked. So I'm making this our first Christmas, okay?" he chuckles and nods.

"Whatever you say, Mrs. Styles." He leans down to peck my lips, but I turn my head on the last minute as I spot the perfect tree.

"There it is!" I speed-walk toward the tree and look back to see Harry pouting as he approaches with the cart. "This is the one, babe! Let's get this tree!" I clap my hands excitedly, making him laugh.

"Are you sure this is the one you want? It's huge," he asks, grabbing the box where the tree is packaged and placing it in the cart. "You'll have to get lots of ornaments and lights."

"So? That's the best part! And we have to get them today because Christmas is in two weeks, and we haven't decorated anything," I say. He groans and complains about how much work that will be, as I guide him towards all the pretty ornaments.

***

"Ow!" Harry exclaims.

"Are you okay? What happened?" he peeks his head around the tree, rubbing his eye.

"I poked my fucking eye," he says and I burst out laughing. "It's not funny, woman!"

Shaking my head, I continue hanging ornaments on the tree. "Do you think it needs more lights?"

Harry steps back, looking up and down the lighted tree. "No, I think it has more than enough. It looks... very bright. Those ornaments you picked are looking quite nice, Sweetheart. Gold and red actually look good together."

"Thank you, love. Can you help me with the Poinsettia clips?" he nods and starts adding those ornaments.

It takes us about two hours to finish adding ornaments to the tree. Mainly because I wanted to add as many as possible, Harry gave up for about thirty minutes, until I made him help me once again. There's only one last detail that we need to add: the angel on top of the tree.

"Can you do it? You're tall," I say, handing Harry the angel, but he doesn't take it from me.

"I have a better idea." He turns my body toward the tree and places his hands on my waist. I squeal when he lifts my body up. I reach out and place the angel on its designated spot.

Once my feet are back on the ground, Harry wraps his arms around my body, and we admire our tree. It looks absolutely gorgeous. "You know, this is the first time there is a Christmas tree in this house. I haven't celebrated it in a long time."

"Yeah... me too, actually. I mean, this is the first time that I actually participate in the decorations since..." I trail off, but Harry understands what I mean.

"I know, baby," he kisses my temple. "You l know, I'm glad we're celebrating Christmas together. The way it should be. We both have closed ourselves off for so long, and now that we have learned to open up to each other, I think things will get better and better." His words make me smile and peace flows through me. I feel reassured that our marriage will only move forward and that whatever hardships we come across, will be solved maturely.