Chapter 57

Harry's arms wrap around me and he brings me closer to his chest. I pull the bedspread up to my chin and cuddle into his warmth. The moonlight peeks through the crack in the curtains, softly illuminating our room.

"Are you ready for tomorrow's fight, love?" I ask him softly. I feel him exhale on my neck and a shiver runs down my spine. 

"I was born ready, darlin'." I roll my eyes at his words. "I know you're rolling your eyes," he chuckles.

He places a soft kiss on the back of my neck. His hand tenderly rests on my abdomen and he creates little figures with the pads of his fingers. Close my eyes as he begins humming a song and soon I am pulled into a deep sleep.

***

The arena seems to come alive with the roars of excitement coming from fanatics. I sit in the very first row, on the side where Harry will be, just like last time. A spark of excitement ignites inside me, however, a cloud of worry still lingers in the air. I can't help it.

About half an hour later, the referee announces Harry's contender, Carlos Ramirez. People cheer and chant his name, pumping their fists in the air. Ramirez has a boyish smile plastered on his face, as he walks around the ring with his hands in the air. He walks over to his corner and nods as his team talks to him.

Shortly after, Harry's name is announced and the crowd goes wild. They stomp their feet, clap, and scream his name in excitement. I stand from my chair and chant his name as he walks toward the ring. His expression serious, eyes taking in every detail around him. He hops into the ring, Jake following behind him. Harry looks around, a smirk playing on his lips as he hears his name being chanted like a mantra. He loves it. He loves seeing the crowd go wild and screaming his name when he steps into that ring.

His eyes spot me and he winks, blowing a kiss in my direction. My cheeks flush. It amazes me how my body still reacts this way with any small gesture he does, my heart beats faster and my stomach flutters with butterflies.

He's wearing the gloves I gave him!

Once both boxers have their mouth-guards in, the bell rings, they bump their gloves together, and the fight begins.

At first, they just hop around, guards up. But soon, Harry takes a swing at Ramirez, but he blocks it and strikes Harry on the temple. I jump in my seat and cover my mouth. 

Harry stumbles back a little, then shakes his head, regaining his composure. My heart throbs hard against my chest.

Some seconds later, the bell rings again and the first round is over. Both boxers go to their respective corners, where their team closes around them and apply Vaseline to their wounds, give them waters and shout words of encouragement and advise.

Second round starts and soon Harry lands a strong hit on Ramirez's jaw and another one on the cheek. The crowd cheers and I exclaim in excitement.

The following rounds have me stressed and on the verge of trying to stop the fight. Though Harry has landed many hits, he's also received several punches. I've had some cramps throughout the fight and I am convinced it's because I'm worrying so much and I'm tense as hell.

When round 9 starts, I can tell Harry is exhausted. His chest heaves up and down as he breathes, he has a cut above his right eye, a busted lip, and his jaw is bruising. His curls stick to his face and sweat covers his face and torso. I already teared up about five times, I've never seen Harry so hurt during a match, and as far as I know, no other contender has lasted more than three or four rounds.

The fact that Ramirez looks worse than Harry, gives me some peace of mind. His movements are not as strong as when the fight began and both of his eyes are swollen, left eyebrow bleeding, a dark bruise on the right side of his face, and a thick cut on the bridge of his nose.