Chapter 64

"Scarlet!" Moni exclaims when she walks into the living room. "How are you, love?"

"Moni!" I get up to hug her and kiss her cheek. I haven't seen her in about three weeks and I've missed her like crazy. "I'm okay, how are you?"

"I'm good, Muffin. I've missed you so much! How's everything? How have you been doing? How are you feeling? Mother told me you're better." I lead her to the sofa and motion her to take a seat.

I shrug and take a deep breath. My mother has come to visit almost every day which I appreciate and it makes me happy that we are getting along after so many years of feeling her rejection. "What can I say, Moni? Yes, I'm better, but I'm still dealing with it. The pain isn't going away. I mean, I'm not in bed all day anymore and Harry and I are talking more. We're going to therapy, which is a big progress, and I'm not shutting him out anymore. But we're still hurting," I sigh.

"I can't even imagine what you're going through, Scarlet. I'm so sorry," she reaches over to hug me.

"It's okay, Moni. I'm... I'm going to be okay. Can we not talk about it?" she nods in understanding. "Where's Lauren? I haven't seen her in a while."

"She's with Marcus," she smiles. "I was planning on bringing her but this morning she woke up coughing and with a runny nose and since it's a bit chilly outside, I didn't want her to get more sick. But I promise that once she gets better I will bring her over so you can see her."

"That would be great!" Maura brings two cups of tea and my sister and I catch up. She asks me how the project is going and I tell her that we should be ready for inauguration in about two weeks.

"Guess what!? I say, she raises a questioning brow. "My dress got here this morning."

"Oh my god, really!?" I nod excitedly. "Let me see it!"

We make our way up the stair and into Harry and I's bedroom. I had set the large white box on the bed. I haven't even opened it to make sure it's the dress I ordered. "I have not seen it yet," I confess.

"What? Girl open it!" I could hear the excitement in her voice and it was contagious. For a moment, I was able to forget about all the bad things that have happened these past months.

I carefully untie the large white ribbon and open the box, placing the lid beside it. Moving the tissue paper aside, I let out a soft gasp when I finally see the bodice of my dress. Delicate lace designs covered the bodice and the heart-shaped neckline. I took the dress out of the box, holding it against my body, and heard Monique's gasp. The lace went down past the thighs.

"Try it on!" I took the dress with me inside the ensuite. I quickly removed my clothes and slipped inside the white dress. The fabric caressed my skin as I slowly pulled it up my body, I hold it against my chest to keep it from pooling down at my feet.

"Moni, close your eyes," I step out into the bedroom. "Could you help me zip it up?" she nods, walking over to me with her arms in front of her. I turn around and tell her to open her eyes so she can find the zipper. I can feel the dress hugging my torso as my sister zips up the dress.

"Turn around," Moni says and I do as she tells me, placing my hands on my hips. "Oh my god, Muffin!" she covers her mouth and I see her eyes get teary. "You look beautiful!"

"Yeah?" she nods, eagerly. I walk to the full body mirror and look at myself.

The woman staring back at me has a glint in her blue eyes that had been missing for a while. Her eyes look hopeful. The dress hugs her body perfectly, accentuating every curve on her body.

I do look beautiful.

"I love the dress, Moni," I whisper, holding back tears. I turn to my sister who throws her arms around me and holds me tightly.