Chapter 87

Oh, fuck! Did I just pee myself?

"What the fuck? Oh, my god, what the fuck!?" I start panicking while I stare at the floor. "HARRY, WHAT THE FUCK?" I scream, everyone turns their attention to us.

"Fuckfuckfuckfuck," Harry whispers, repeating the word over and over while I hyperventilate and shake uncontrollably. Our eyes are glued to the floor and neither of us moves. What a sight we must be, just holding onto each other's arms with terrified looks on our faces.

"OH, MY GOD!"

My mother rushes to my side and her eyes widen. "Scarlet, your water broke, dear!"

I start crying, not knowing what to do, my feet are stuck to the floor. "We have to get you to the hospital!" Guillermo says.

Harry snaps out of his trance and he and Guillermo help me walk to the car. "Harry, I'll drive, you should sit with her in the backseat," Guillermo says, helping Harry get me in the backseat. They close the door and Harry gets in next to me, while my mother and Guillermo get in the front.

Guillermo brings the car to life and once the gates open he starts driving through the streets. Harry holds my shaking hands and whispers reassuring, calming words, but I am anything but calm.

"Harry, something's wrong," I whimper. "I'm not due for another 6 weeks, why is this happening?" my lip trembles and the tears just keep falling down my face. I'm terrified.

"Didn't Doctor Melendez say the baby could come early?" He asks.

"Yeah but one or two weeks, not six!" I feel another contraction and this time more painful than the last one. I squeeze Harry's hand, digging my nails into his skin. "Ow, fuck!"

"Sweetie, we're almost there. Remember the breathing exercises," my mother tells me, turning in her seat to look at me.

I try to take deep breaths and stop squeezing Harry's hand when the contraction passes.

Once we arrive at the hospital, a nurse brings out a wheelchair and Harry helps me get on it. I am immediately taken to a room and changed into a hospital gown. The nurses start hooking me up to some machines and wrap a belt to my bump to monitor my baby's heartbeat.

"Doctor Melendez will be here soon to talk to you," one of the nurses tells me as she conducts an ultrasound.

"How is my baby? Is my baby okay?" I ask frantically.

She turns to me, smiling softly. "Your baby is doing great, dear." I take a deep breath but I cannot stop the worry. She wipes the gel off my skin and reassures me once again that my baby is okay. She then proceeds to check my dilation. "You're only three centimetres dilated, I'll come back in about two hours to check your progress, love." She pats my hand gently and leaves the room.

Harry sits on a stool next to me, holding my hand, while my mum is sitting on the sofa talking to Anne on the phone, letting her know which room I'm in.

"Harry, why is this happening? I had six more weeks to go, I don't understand. I did everything Doctor Melendez told me, I had been staying in bed and just walking a little around the house. I was sitting down most of the night... what did I do wrong?"

"You did nothing wrong, Sweetheart. Let's just wait for Doctor Melendez to come and tell us what happened. But everything is going to be okay." He kisses my knuckles and caresses my cheek.

After a few minutes, Anne and Gemma walk in, telling me reassuring words and letting me know they stopped by our house to pack a few things into a duffel bag.

Two hours later, there is a soft knock on the door and Doctor Melendez comes in. "Scarlet! Hey, how are you doing?" She asks, walking towards the machine that is keeping track of my baby's heartbeat and reading the strip of paper.