➸sixteen

Copyright © 2014 Ari W.

“Sky, you’ve been crying ever since you got back. What’s wrong?” Lia asked.

“Nothing, I’m just stupid.” I sniffed, rubbing my eyes.

“You’re not stupid.” She chuckled.

There was a knock at the door and I buried my head in my pillow. Lia got up and left the room, stomping down the stairs.

I heard her arguing with someone and then footsteps ascended the staircase quickly. “She isn’t here.” I heard Lia yell.

The door to my room flew open and in walked Zayn. I brought the blanket up to cover my face and took a deep breath. “I was worried sick about you.” Zayn said furiously.

I stayed quiet and gripped the blanket tightly. He yanked it away, revealing my body and forced me to look at him.

“Say something.” He demanded.

“What do you want me to say Zayn?”

“What the hell was that earlier? And why did you leave?”

“Because you always make up some lie whenever I’m around and that makes me look stupid. I’m not going to set myself up to be embarrassed.” I mumbled.

“Sky, it’s just complicated right now.” He sighed.

“Whatever.” I rolled my eyes.

“Don’t be mad. I’ll make it up to you.” He said, stroking my cheek.

“No thanks.” I scoffed, slapping his hand away.

“Do you trust me?” He asked.

“Um…yes” I hesitated.

“I want to take you somewhere. Come with me?” He pleaded.

“No.” I replied stubbornly.

“You leave me no choice.” He muttered, picking me up and swinging me over his shoulder.

“Put me down.” I screamed, hitting him.

He didn’t seem fazed by it as he walked down the stairs and out the door. He set me on my feet and gripped my waist. “You can get in or I can put you in. Your choice.” He sighed. “I can do it.” I grumbled. I swatted his hands away and got in the passenger seat of his cherry red Porsche.

He closed the door then gracefully walked to the driver’s side and climbed inside. I stared out the window as he drove away.

The ride was silent, neither of us speaking. I felt him glance at me a few times but I didn’t acknowledge it. He rested his hand on my thigh and I froze. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep, hoping he wouldn’t speak to me.

The car came to a stop and I opened my eyes, taking a deep breath. We were at an airport. I opened my mouth to speak, then I realized I wasn’t speaking to him so I bit my lip and stayed quiet.

“I know you’re mad, but still, no lip biting.” Zayn mumbled, tugging on my chin. He got out of the car and walked towards the man who was walking down the stairs from the plane. Zayn had his back towards me and I saw him gesturing towards me while he spook.

The man nodded and walked back towards the plane. Zayn came over to my side of the car and opened the door. I crossed my arms and ignored him.

“As I said before, you can get out by choice or I’ll drag you out.” He said, squatting down so we were eye level.

I took off my seatbelt and got out of the car, leaning against it.

“Sir, we’re ready when you are.” The man said.