➸twenty-four

We haven’t spoken in two whole weeks. I have nothing to say to him after he snapped at me. I quit my job at Cave Castle yesterday, because my new job starts today.

I grabbed my cup of coffee and took a deep breath before entering the large building. It’s not as breathtaking as Zayn’s, but it’s still huge. The set up was similar to Zayn’s; however, this place is more welcoming in a sense. Zayn’s company is a neutral color, which makes the place look strictly business, but here, the walls are a variety of colors, completely changing the atmosphere.

“You must be Skylar.” A voice said, catching my attention.

“Yes.” I nodded, coming face to face with a man dressed in a suit, with curly hair, and deep dimples.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you! I’m Ashton Irwin.” He said, extending a hand.

I shook his hand and listened as he explained things to me. He gave me a tour of the building, giving me tips on how to get there quickly. He stopped at a circular desk and leaned against it. “So you’ll be my assistant, taking calls and scheduling meetings and things for me.” He informed me.

“Okay.” I nodded.

“The look on your face tells me you’re having second thoughts.” He quirked an eyebrow.

“No, I just don’t want to disappoint you.” I explained.

He shook his head and gave me a small smile.

-

The first half of the day was hectic, because the phones rang constantly. I returned from my lunch break and logged back into the computer, entering important events onto Ashton’s calendar. The elevator doors dinged and I glanced up, meeting Zayn’s eyes.

I quickly looked back down and continued to type.

He cleared his throat and I looked up at him. “How can I help you?” I asked, slightly annoyed.

“I have a meeting with Ashton.” He said lowly.

I haven’t heard his voice in weeks. It made my heart throb. Never breaking eye contact, I reached out and picked up the phone, dialing the extension number for Ashton’s office.

“Irwin!” He spoke.

“I have a, wait I’m sorry what’s your name again?” I paused, waiting for Zayn to speak. He rolled his eyes and said his name. “Zayn Malik who has arrived for your meeting.”

“Oh, yes bring him in.” He said, ending the call.

I stood abruptly, walking around the desk. “Right this way.” I mumbled, walking towards Ashton’s office.

I could feel him glaring at me, and the silence only made it worse. The only noise heard was the clicking of my heels against the marble floor. I opened the door and allowed him to step inside. His cologne made me feel sick to my stomach. I miss him. “Ah Zayn, to what do I owe the displeasure?” Ashton groaned.

“We need to discuss some things.” Zayn shrugged, speaking in that intimidating business tone.

“Mm. Skylar get us some coffee.” Ashton demanded.

I nodded and left the office, only to return with two cups of coffee. I handed Ashton his cup first, freaking out when I had to give Zayn his. My hand was shaking like crazy. He took the cup, purposely touching my hand.

I sat back down at my desk impatiently waiting for the meeting to be over.

The door opened and I typed faster. “Walk him to the elevator and plan our next meeting.” Ashton said to me. I nodded and stood, walking around the desk. I focused on the elevator as we walked. “I didn’t quite catch your name.” Zayn said, getting my attention.