➸thirty-five

I found myself crying again as I took another plate and threw it at the wall, that too shattering into pieces. Zayn came back into the kitchen and took the third plate before I could throw it. I frowned and grabbed another one, dropping it on the floor.

"Stop breaking things." He yelled, grabbing onto my hands and pinning me against the wall. I pushed him away, leaving the kitchen, and walking towards the bedroom, when I ran into his mother. "Did my son finally come to his senses and leave you?" She asked, suppressing a smile. How does she even get in here? And why is it okay for her to just pop up whenever?

"Mother." Zayn said from behind me.

I quickly went into the room and threw on some jeans and a hoodie. I rummaged through the drawers, pissed because I couldn't find my keys. He probably took them. I looked in the top drawer and grabbed the black key to the Ferrari he bought me and made my way towards the door, where he and his mother stood.

"Can you give us a minute?" He asked her. She cocked an eyebrow but nodded, rolling her eyes as she walked away.

"You're not leaving." He said from behind me. I ignored him and opened the door, running to the car. Before I could get inside, he yanked me back, slamming my body into his. His arms were around my waist and I held onto him, crying. He took the key from me and let me go, walking back into the house.

"Where are my keys?" I asked, following behind him. He shrugged and walked in the direction of the kitchen, leaving me all alone.

I left the house and walked up the long driveway, making my way onto the main road.

This whole being unemployed thing is bothering me. I'd prefer to be working rather than staying in this boring house all day. I want to ask Zayn to give me a job, and I know he'll give it to me, so at least that's a start.

I waited for the elevator to reach the top floor before taking a step in the direction of his office. I walked in and froze in place when I saw Zayn's lips attached to a woman's. He pushed her away, groaning to himself in frustration. "No, no, no." His eyes went wide when he glanced over and spotted me.

"Sky, baby, it's not what it looks like." He rambled, taking a step towards me. I turned and ran to the elevator as fast as I could. "Skylar." He kept calling out.

I knew he was behind me and I did not want to be around him, so I took off my heels and went to the emergency stairs, hopping down them two at a time. I willed myself not to cry as I made my way to the 49th floor.

I pushed the elevator button, ignoring all of the confused faces as they stared at me. When the doors opened, Zayn stood there, hands in his pocket. "Skylar!"

I turned and went back to the stairs, trying to get away as quickly as possible. I heard footsteps behind me, descending the staircase at a much faster pace than me. "Get away from me!" I screeched as he grabbed my arm and pulled me back.

"Skylar I know what you're thinking but you're just assuming things—you don't even know what actually happened."

"Is this why you've been coming home late? You're too busy with whoever that is?" I sneered, glaring up at him. He towered over me, cornering me against the wall. "Why do you think so low of me?" He frowned. "Oh I don't know, because you cheated on me?" I yelled, my voice echoing throughout the staircase.

"She kissed me! I didn't kiss her, I even pushed her away!"

"Why wasn't I good enough?" I sobbed, holding my face in my hands. "You are good enough, you're all I want. I love you, no one else." He mumbled. "Obviously not if you felt the need to cheat on me. Then you come home and act like you've done nothing wrong. Why not just end things with me?"