➸thirty-two

Celebrating Zayn's birthday with his family was not something I was looking forward to, but you make sacrifices for the people you love. Despite our hatred for one another, his mother and I were working together to make sure his party was a success.

Seeing as I am still unemployed, that leaves me with nothing but free time to come up with ideas. Even though she ignored my ideas, I still had one of the most important jobs, making sure he shows up. I've been having trouble deciding what to get him, and with Lia still missing, I have no one to help me.

I'm glad that Zayn decided to go in this morning because it leaves me with a little extra time to get him a gift.

Hours passed, and I knew I was running out of time because he'd be home soon, so I got him a really nice watch; although, I know he'd probably never wear it.

We got home at the exact same time. I shoved the bag inside my purse, getting out of the car, and put on a smile as I walked towards him. He leaned in, and I turned my head, causing his lips to brush the corner of my mouth before hitting my cheek.

"What did I do?" He asked, holding his hands up.

"Nothing, I'm just thinking." I lied, grabbing his hand reassuringly.

-

"I really don't think this is a good idea." Zayn told me for the hundredth time.

"Trust me! I think finally making amends with your mother will be great for us." I lied, forcing myself to smile. He pulled into the yard, stopping before driving down the long driveway.

"We'll leave before anything drastic happens." He warned.

"Thanks." I smiled, resting my hand on his knee.

The car came to a stop, and my door was opened for me. I thanked the man and linked arms with Zayn, walking towards the front door. I was anxious to see the look on his face when he realized that this was not me making up with his mother, but rather a surprise party for him.

He opened the door, allowing me to go in first. "It's kind of chilly in here." I said, using the signal Tricia and I came up with.

"I told you to bring a sweater." Zayn sighed. He grabbed my hand and we took a step towards the formal dining room when the lights turned on and out came the people yelling, "Surprise!"

I found myself giggling loudly at the shock written all over Zayn's face. He pulled me towards him, forcing a smile, and whispering in my ear, "I can't believe you went along with this."

Tricia came up first, not even acknowledging me, and grabbed onto Zayn's arms, kissing both of his cheeks. "You know I hate when you throw parties that only your friends attend." He groaned, smiling.

"Not now." She warned.

Zayn was whisked away, leaving me to stand off in the corner alone. I'm not a big fan of crowds anyway. I grabbed a glass of champagne and took a seat on one of the empty chairs. I wish Lia could have come. That would have been at least one person to keep me company.