➸ten

Copyright © 2014 Ari W.

It’s been two whole days since I received the phone call about Nick. Two days have passed since I last ate, or slept.

I’m in too much shock. My eyelids were starting to get heavy but I refuse to sleep. “Sky.” Nick said, his voice rough. “Yes, I’m here.” I said, clearing my throat. I’ve been crying for the past two days and my voice was now hoarse.

“Can you get me some water?”

I stood up, and exited the room, heading to vending machines. I love my brother way too much to give him that nasty tap water.

I pulled out a crinkled dollar bill from my pocket and inserted it into the slot. It went through then came back out.

I repeated the same steps, but the machine just wouldn’t accept the dollar. I cursed as I attempted to do it for like the hundredth time.

“Allow me.” Someone said, inserting a dollar.

I watched in awe as the machine lit up, telling me to choose what I wanted. I pushed on the water and waited for it to vend.

“Thanks.” I muttered, grabbing the water.

“I came to tell you that you have the week off.” Zayn said, shoving his hands into his pockets.

“Thanks.” I said, raising an eyebrow.

“What?” He scowled.

“Was this your doing? It seems a little weird.” I objected.

His eyes opened wide with surprise and he scrunched his eyebrows together. “I thought I was being nice. I can easily deduct you two days’ pay.”

“I’m sorry. Thank you.” I said, sighing.

His expression cleared and he stared at me. I stared back, struggling to think clearly, trying to figure out why he did this for me.

“We’ll resume your tutoring next week.” He says abruptly, turning and leaving me to stand there in shock.

I quickly went back into Nick’s room and handed him the bottle of water. “Thanks, what took so long?” He asked, sipping it slowly.

“There was a line.” I lied.

“I don’t want you to stay here, moping around.” Nick frowned.

“Hey, I almost lost you, twice. Let me be here for you.” I insisted.

“Okay, I just don’t want you to stay here, worrying about me. As a matter of fact, I’d be happy if you could go to work.” He admitted.

“And leave you here?” I frowned.

“I’m in a hospital Sky, I’m not going anywhere. Please.” He begged.

“What if I go to my tutoring instead?”

“I suppose that’ll do. Go.” He scowled.

I pulled out my phone and texted Zayn, asking if he could tutor me tonight. To my surprise, he responded a minute later saying okay.

“You’re stuck with me until 6.” I smiled, poking him.

He groaned and closed his eyes, pretending to be asleep. “Fine, I’ll go. I’ll be back tonight okay.” I told him.

“Or don’t.” He muttered.

“That’s no way to treat your favorite sister.” I gasped.

“Skylar.” He groaned, rolling his eyes.