➸twenty-seven

“Skylar, we’re going to be late.” I heard Zayn yell. I frowned and rolled out of the bed, sleepily dragging a hand through my hair. I’m so tired. I hardly got any sleep after Zayn told me he loves me. I was in too much in shock to sleep.

I turned the shower water on and stepped inside, closing my eyes. I washed my hair and body, letting the water wake me up. I stepped out, hurrying to get dressed.

Half an hour later, I was just about ready. I held a pair of heels in my hand and made my way to the front door. Zayn stood there, with his back facing me. I snuck up behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist. He turned around, looking me up and down before smiling.

“Are you ready to go?” He asked.

I nodded, using him as support while I put the heels on. He opened the door, allowing me to walk out first. “Can I drive?” I asked, although I already knew the answer. “No.”

I started pouting, scrunching my face up. “The answer is still no.” He snickered. I huffed in annoyance and got inside of the car. The engine roared to life and I glanced down at the time on my phone. “Please tell me the time on my phone isn’t right.”

“It is correct.” Zayn shrugged, driving onto the main road. “You made me think we were going to be late. I don’t have to be at work for another two hours.” I whined.

“We would have been. It takes an hour to get there with traffic.”

“I could still be asleep right now.” I grumbled, leaning back against the seat. I’m not a morning person at all and he knows this, so I don’t know why he’d wake me up. Now I’m going to be in a bad mood and it’s all his fault.

“Don’t be mad.” He smiled, grabbing my hand. I slapped his hand away and attempted to fall asleep.

He shook me what felt like seconds later and I wanted to cry. I hate feeling like this. I can’t even function properly. We were parked in front of the building and I checked the time, realizing I have to be in my office in ten minutes. “I got you breakfast.”

He handed me a bag and a large cup of coffee. “Thank you.” I smiled, leaning closer to him. He closed the distance between us, brushing his lips against mine. I got out of the car, holding all of my things and walked inside.

“Good morning Skylar.” Ashton said, leaning against my desk.

I set my stuff down and took a seat, mumbling hello. “Rough night?” He asked.

“I was having trouble sleeping.” I shrugged. He chuckled and walked into his office, leaving me alone. I looked inside the bag and took the muffin out. I love blueberry muffins. I took a sip of my coffee and logged into the computer, looking at Ashton’s schedule for today. It was clear and I nearly choked. There’s no way he didn’t have anything going on today.

I stood abruptly, making my way to his office. “Yes Skylar?”

“Your schedule is empty?” I stated, more as a question.

“Yes, I’m leaving early for the business trip. Don’t worry, you’ve done nothing wrong.”

I took a deep breath, nodding. “Well today anyway.” He added. I frowned and left, feeling slightly offended.

I was typing away on the computer when the elevator opened. “I need the results back. They are going to be filed in our inventory.” The asshole from the marketing division muttered. Oh the irony.

“I’m afraid we don’t have them at this time.” I shrugged.

“This isn’t funny. I need them.” He explained.