➸five

Copyright ©2014 Ari W.

Skylar’s Pov

All I hear is this beeping noise. It won’t stop. I feel around for my phone and turn off my alarm. My head is pounding. What happened last night? I open my eyes and close them immediately as the sun shines through the room, blinding me.

I swing my feet over the bed and stand, running my fingers through the catastrophe on top of my head. I walk into the bathroom and take some painkillers.

I don’t feel like going to work. Where is Lia?

I walk to her room and her bed is empty, like it hasn’t even been slept in. I search the whole apartment and there is no sign of her anywhere.

If she’s not here, then how did I get home? Maybe Lia left early for work. How could she do that to me!

I get into the shower and get ready as quickly as I can. I’m surprised Lia didn’t even wake me.

I finish doing my hair and hesitate before grabbing my keys. I haven’t driven in over a year. I haven’t driven since that day. The day I got into the car accident that should have killed me, but somehow didn’t.

I lock the door to the apartment and make my way to my car. I put the key into the ignition and start it. The engine purrs to life and it startles me a little.

Calm down. You’re okay, I think to myself.

I put the car in drive and pull off into traffic.

-

As I pull into the parking spot, putting the car in park, I hear a car horn and I freeze. My heart rate accelerates and my head is pounding. It seems almost impossible to breathe. Memories of that night start filling my mind.

-Flashback-

“Slow down.” I hear my older brother say.

“Oh calm down, I’m not even going that fast.” I roll my eyes.

“You can never be too careful.” He grimaces.

“Fine, I’ll slow down.” I groan.

I step on the brake lightly, bringing the acceleration down. I glance over at Nicholas, my older brother, and I see him staring out the window. He hates being on bridges just as much as I do. I focus my eyes on the road and turn the radio on.

I see headlights coming towards us and I panic. “Nick I can’t see. They have their bright lights on.” I tell him.

"Sky, try to get over.” He says calmly.

“I can’t, they’re swerving.” I tell him.

The car accelerates and there’s not much I can do. The lights on their car are blinding me. I hear the car behind me blow the horn. “Sky watch out.” Nick yells.

I look up to see the car hit us, knocking us over the side of the bridge. I scream as loud as I can and grab my brother’s hand. We hit the water and the car begins to sink. I see Nick reach over and unlick my seat belt.

Water is starting to fill the car at a massive speed and before I know it, I’m holding my breath.

I can’t hold my breath any longer so I squeeze my brother’s hand and open my mouth. The water starts to fill my lungs and everything goes black.

“Sky, Skylar please. Open your eyes.” I hear.

I open my eyes and take a deep breath, coughing out the water. I see my brother’s face and I sit up, reaching out to hug him.