➸thirty-seven

Zayn's POV

"Skylar, would you like to go to dinner with me?" I asked, trying again for the fifth night in a row, hoping to get an actual answer this time. She kept her gaze on the floor and said nothing. "Okay, no problem." I sighed, leaving the room.

"No thank you. I just don't feel comfortable going anywhere with you. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." I nodded, clenching my jaw. I honestly can't deal with this anymore. I've been trying every day since she came home. She won't look at me, she won't talk to me. How can she remember anything if she isn't trying.

"I don't know you." She mumbled.

"And apparently you don't want to." I snapped, walking towards my office.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked from behind me.

"Every time I try to hold a conversation with you, you always find some excuse to leave. I understand that you don't remember anything right now but I love you, and I'm trying to be patient but I just can't do it anymore."

"Well I was in a coma for two months."

"Did you ever stop and think about how you even went into a coma?"

"I fell down some stairs."

"Because of me. It was my fault and I've been living with that on my conscious for the past two months and all I wanted was for you to be okay, and for you to know how sorry I am, but I guess none of that even matters."

"Why can't you just leave me alone?" She yelled.

"I'm trying to save what we had!"

"Well don't. I won't remember it anyway."

Each word hit me hard. I felt myself about to cry. When I reached my office, I stepped inside, slamming it right in her face.

It's been a week since that day. She hasn't spoken to me and vice versa.

It was about 4 in the morning when I walked inside. I grabbed a bottle of water and made my way towards the room. Skylar was asleep. I could hear her steady breathing from across the room.

I made my way into the bathroom, turning the shower on. There was nothing I wanted more than to take a shower and go sleep. I'm exhausted. So much has been going on lately. I've had to deal with things here, as well in New York.

I'm going to have to fly there to solve the issue, I'm just not sure how soon I'll be able to go with all of the drama going on here.

As I took a shower, I cleared my mind, letting the water relax my muscles. I spent the past six hours at the gym, letting out all of my frustrations. I've been spending a lot of time at the gym lately. It's better than coming home to my girlfriend who wants nothing to do with me.

Forty minutes later I stepped out of the shower, wrapping a towel around my waist. The mirror was covered with steam. I turned the light off in the bathroom before opening the door and going into the closet.

After I was dressed, I went to leave the room so I could sleep but she turned the lights on. "Where have you been?"

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Where have you been? You've been coming home around this time every day, then you get right back up and go to work at 8." She said, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm going to sleep." I said, leaving the room.

I heard her groan loudly then slam the door. I contemplated going back in there to talk for a second, then went into one of the guest rooms, crawling into the bed.