➸eight

Copyright © 2014 Ari W.

My phone has been buzzing for like ten minutes straight. I feel around for it and grab it, lazily bringing it up to my ear. “Hello?” I mumble sleepily.

“We need to set up a schedule.” I hear Zayn say.

“Zayn?” I ask.

“What did I tell you about addressing me by my first name?” He snaps. Even on the phone he’s grouchy.

“What do you want? It’s like 7?” I say glancing at the time.

“Unlike you, I don’t sleep my life away.”

“Did you call to insult me?” I ask.

“I’ll be at your apartment in ten minutes.” He says and the line goes dead.

Ten minutes! I roll out of the bed and land on the floor with a thud. What do I do? I run to the bathroom and comb through my hair vigorously. I brush my teeth and run back into my room, frantically searching for something to wear.

I hear knocking. I throw on some shorts and a shirt, dashing down the stairs. I open the door just as he’s about to knock again.

I step outside and quietly shut the door behind me. “Do you think you could give me a little longer than ten minutes next time?” I say.

“I’m in between meetings, this is the only time I have.” He explains.

“Meetings? It’s Sunday!”

“When are you available to be tutored?” He asks.

“Um well any day, except for Wednesday.” I stammer.

“Alright we’ll do it every day except for Wednesday.” He says, typing something into his phone.

“Every day? Don’t you think that’s a little much?” I gulp.

“Skylar, I am a very busy man and I intend to be done with you by the end of this week.” He explains.

“Fine.” I sigh. He continues to type away on his phone and I look around, waiting for him to say something.

"Where are we going to do this at?" I ask, breaking the silence.

“My house. I don’t need people seeing me in this area.”

Did he just offend me? I don’t live in a bad area.

“I need your address.”

“I’ll give it to you tomorrow morning. I expect you to be at my house no later than six o’clock.” He tells me.

“And when will we finish?” I question.

“When we finish. Stop asking questions.” He snaps.

I stay silent and lean back onto the door. “No later than six.” He reminds me. He turns and gets inside of a white Audi limousine.

I stare as the vehicle zooms away.

-

My shift just ended, and to my surprise, Zayn didn’t show up today. I can’t say I’m disappointed, seeing as I am about to be at his house for who knows how long.

I make my way to my car and put Zayn’s address into my navigation system.

I tap my fingers against the steering wheel as I journey into the unknown. I have never even heard of the area that he lives in.

After driving through the woods for a good thirty minutes, I spot a house, which I’m assuming is his. The house is huge. There are trees all around it and a gate surrounds the entire yard.