➸twenty-three

I took my break earlier than usual and I sat in my car, thinking about what his mother said. I decided not to let it get to me. I checked my email to see if there was anything new and there was. I received an email about one of the jobs I applied for and they’ve given me the job. I excitedly responded, letting them know that I’m available to start whenever.

I thought about calling Zayn, but I stopped myself, remembering our conversation from earlier.

I locked my car and walked back inside, thinking about how I won’t be working here anymore. It’ll be crazy because I’ve worked here for about four years.

I finished out the rest of my shift and made my way towards the parking lot. “Ms. King, Mr. Malik would like to have a word with you at his office.” A voice said from behind me.

“He just got back? Is that necessary?” I asked his driver.

“Yes ma’am.”

I sighed and followed him, knowing that Zayn would be difficult if I didn’t comply with his wishes. The ride to his office seemed to go by a little too quick.

“Mr. Malik will see you now.” His assistant, Samantha, informed me.

I gave her a small smile and walked inside. “Shut the door.” He said.

I turned and closed it, wishing I was on the opposite side. I took a seat on the chair in front of his desk and stared at the wood floor. “How are you?”

“I’m fine.” I lied. Being so close to him after what happened with his mother makes me feel weird.

“Skylar.” He sighed.

“I am fine. How are you?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

He stood up and sat on the edge of his desk, directly in front of me. “I’m sorry about earlier. I did miss you.” He said softly.

“Okay.” I said, repeating the same thing he said to me.

“I feel like you’re upset.” He sighed, reaching out to touch my face. I held my breath, nervously waiting to see what he’d do. He moved a strand of hair away from my face and stood up.

“I got the job.” I mumbled.

“You what?” He asked, a little in shock.

“I got the job.” I repeated.

“I thought we discussed you getting a job here.” He frowned.

“We did, and I remember telling you that I didn’t want to work for you.” I mumbled.

He opened his mouth to speak but the knock on the door interrupted him. Samantha walked in and he scrunched his face up in anger. “I thought I told you not to disturb me when Ms. King is here.” He said harshly. The tone in his voice was venomous. “Sir, your mother is on line one and demands to speak with you.” She said quietly.

“Tell her I’m busy.” He said, taking a deep breath.

“I’m afraid she won’t take no for an answer.” She said.

“Transfer the call.” He sighed, exasperated.

She nodded and left the office. His phone began to ring and he picked it up and brought it to his ear, “Hello Mother.”

I felt very uncomfortable. I should just go. I took out my phone and texted Zayn, saying that he could just call me later. He shook his head no, but I got up and left anyway, making my way towards the elevators.

I reached the first floor and walked past the main desk, out onto the busy street. My car is all the way at Cave Castle, how am I going to get home? I can call Nick!