➸fifteen

Copyright © 2014 Ari W.

It’s been two days and I survived. It was actually really easy. I preoccupied myself with things and by the time I missed Zayn, I ended up falling asleep.

He texted me and said he’d be coming back today so I decided to go to his house and surprise him. I sat on his bed, waiting for him to text me.

Once I received the text from him, saying that he just got home, I hid inside his closet. He entered the room and took his phone out of his pocket. He dialed a number and put it on speaker while he took his shirt off.

I was so wrapped up in watching him change that I didn’t realize my ringtone was playing loudly. I grabbed it out of my pocket, silencing it quickly.

“Skylar? What are you doing?” Zayn asked.

“Oh I um dropped a contact lens. Found it.” I lied, touching a spot on the floor.

“Hm. But you don’t wear contact lenses.” He smirked, holding a hand out. I slapped his hand away and stood up on my own, walking past him.

He wrapped his arms around me from behind and picked me up. I let out a squeal and started to laugh. He dropped me on the bed and hovered over top of me. He brushed his lips against mine, smiling as he did so.  “I missed you babe.” He mumbled into my hair.

“Babe?” I chuckled, raising my eyebrows.

Hearing him call me that made my heart flutter. I blushed and took a deep breath, inhaling his scent. “Yeah.” He shrugged.

“That’s cute, I like it. Does that mean we’re together?” I asked.

“Skylar.” He groaned, rolling onto the spot next to me.

I just don’t know what to say at this point. He acts as if we’re a couple, yet every time I bring it up, it turns out to be some avoided conversation, and we aren’t together.

“I want to be with you, I just don’t do the whole title thing. Like as long as we know what we are, we don’t need a title.” He said.

“I have to go, Lia is waiting on me, but I’ll see you soon.” I half smiled.

“She’s visiting her mother. Nice try.” He sighed, intertwining our fingers. I glanced down and closed my eyes. I didn’t grip his hand, instead, my fingers stayed tense, not touching his. “I’ve been dealing with bullshit for the past two days. I wanted to come home and lay with you. Don’t ruin it.” Zayn said.

Normally I’d say something back, but instead, I stared up at the ceiling. He wrapped an arm around me and snuggled closer, resting his head in the crook of my neck.

I feel stupid. I moved his arm and swung my feet over the bed, getting up. I was walking out the room and stopped dead in my tracks when his mother was walking towards me.

“You again. Why are you leaving my son’s room?” She sneered.

“He’s sick, I was just helping him to the bed.” I lied. Zayn groaned loudly and she pushed past me and into the room with him.

I turned around and watched her place a hand on his forehead. “Why are you still here?” Zayn rolled his eyes at me.

My jaw literally touched the floor. I turned and ran out of his house, straight for my car. I was about to drive away when he texted me, saying that his mom doesn’t know about us yet and he was just doing that so he can tell her when the time’s right.

There is no us. He doesn’t want that.

I drove back to my apartment and went straight to my room.