The Stanchurian Candidate (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"There will be a town hall meeting this afternoon to discuss replacing him," the co-host continued for Shandra.

"New mayor, huh? Wonder who it could be..." Stan muttered as he shut the TV off.

~~~~~~~~~~

The five of us gathered with the rest of the town in Town Hall, sitting in the rows waiting for the meeting to start. I was getting a bad feeling about this meeting in general, especially since the whole town is full of yahoo's who have no qualifications to lead the town.

"Alright. Order! Order everyone! Calm down now!" Sheriff Blubs called from the podium, laughing. At his voice, the chatter in the room quieted down and started paying attention to the man. "We're here to choose a mayor for the first time in almost a century. According to the town charter," Sheriff Blubs paused a moment to unroll an old scroll, in which a bat flew out of it, "a worthy candidate is defined as anyone who can cast a shadow, count to ten, and throw their hat into the provided ring." Wow, Trembley actually made a visual gag of the phrase "throw your hat into the ring."

At that point, Deputy Durland had brought out a big hoop and set it onto the stage in front of the podium. As soon as the hoop was set down, there was a hat thrown into it immediately. A straw hat. Bud Gleeful's straw hat. Dipper and I looked at each other with a look of unease as the man stood up. "Well now I do believe I fulfill all the requirements."

"Wait, Bud Gleeful?" Dipper asked skeptically as he walked up to the podium.

"He looks good! Considering we threw his son in jail," Mabel commented.

Stan sat back in the pew with a smug smile on his face. "That was a good day."

Our attention turned back to the stage as Bud began to speak. "Now folks, I know our family's had its shares of whoopsie daisies in the past, but I'd like to make up for it by formally announcing my candidacy for the mayor of Gravity Falls! Any questions?"

Down in the front, Toby Determined held up his turkey baster, "Yes, are you still in contact with Lil' Gideon?"

Bud looked a little uncomfortable with the question. "That's a great question, I'm giving you 50 percent off a used car!" he said, completely dodging the question.

Toby gasped. "Fifty percent?! FIFTY PERCENT?!!!" Toby ripped his notepad in half and pulled his hat over his head, completely in shock with excitement.

Bud turned his attention toward the entire hall. "In fact, everyone look under your seats!" As people started pulling out envelopes with coupons from under their seats, Bud started pointing at people saying, "You get half off a used car! You get half off a used car!"

The twins and I pulled out our coupons. Mabel looked happily at the piece of paper saying, "Wow, a colorful piece of paper? He's got my vote!"

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "Who does he think he is, Oprah?" I balled up my coupon and tossed it over my shoulder.

"Guys, I've got a really bad feeling about Bud Gleeful as mayor," Dipper commented, myself nodding in agreement.

"I dunno, dude. It's not like we have a lot of good mayor options," Soos spoke up from my side.

"That is very true," I agreed.

"Everyone in this town is a tad strange," Soos continued, "Except, ironically, Tad Strange."

The five of us turned around in our seats to look at a guy in a clean cut shirt and tie. "Hi guys. Tad's the name, and being normal's my game," he said, a content smile on his face.