She knew he was trying to throw her off, and the way he put his block up was loud and sudden, trying to fend her off from his thoughts. Her eyes narrowed as her saber ignited and came in contact with his, locked together as they equally gave and defended.

He allowed her a step back to toss her cape to the side as their breathing hardened, circling one another, daring the other to make the first move.

Kylo's boots were harsh against the dirt, though he never hesitated in his movement, never faltering beneath her glare.

It was another side of him, she discovered. A side that neither fought nor flew, it just simply was. He defended himself, he fought for his stance, and he stayed, never swaying and never giving up.

He stood on the ground he wanted, and what Kylo wanted, he made sure to receive.

His next attack was quick and heavy, whipping his saber to her, which she easily dodged, however this time he swirled around to her again, striking his saber down to her three times, making Rey stumble back.

'Why was he going so hard?' she wondered breathlessly.

Within the next second, as if hearing her thoughts, he ruthlessly attacked again, his long strides catching up to her, slicing the air between before turning the lightsaber over the back of his hand and aiming to her again, nearly hitting her shoulder.

The move made Rey stumble, tripping over her own feet after she successfully blocked it. As her back made contact with the ground, he quickly grabbed at the front of her tunic and hauled her to her feet again.

She cursed him in her thoughts, making sure he was able to hear it as she glared at Kylo when he stepped away.

He smirked, his mind opening just a small fraction.

'You can do better than this.' he taunted.

'Why are pushing so aggressively?' she asked as they began to circle one another again, their weapons raised.

'Rey, your enemy would be pushing harder.' Kylo stated.

Rey smirked at him, stopping herself from taking another step. 'Well, I've already beaten you several times, haven't I?'

Kylo's brow twitched as he scoffed, rolling his eyes before glancing back to her. 'Well, now you're becoming my equal, and there's no need to hold back. Stop holding onto your fear.'

'My fear?' she scoffed.

'Your fear of going too far, your fear of Snoke, your fear of not being able to save your friends. It's clouding your mind, your judgment. Let it go.' he said, almost tauntingly.

Her eyes widened. 'I'm not...-'

Kylo cut her off. 'You are. I saw your nightmare. I felt his presence, and I felt the fear fill your being. You're letting his presence slip through the cracks, and it's damaging the rest of your will.'

Rey's jaw tightened in response as she clutched at her weapon. 'So, you're saying I am letting his presence live on by conjuring him up in my mind?'

Kylo nodded, watching her intently. 'If you allow that presence to live, he can and will anchor to you. It'll harden you, and the dark will win. You're fighting this war for a reason. Remember it.'

At this, Rey's chin rose in the air before she narrowed her eyes at him, a thrill of excitement shooting through her at the sound of the challenge. She attacked him then, which he blocked, though she noticed that he did stumble briefly before composing himself.