Epilogue

Ta daa! The epilogue! Now vote, VOTE, VOTE!!! And be sure to comment, people!!! Tell me if anything still isn't resolved or if you want me to explain anything.

Cheers!

xoxo

---------- Epilogue ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANG!

I release an involuntary scream! The sound of the bullet reverberates around the whole room, and the ring is still in my ear when Luke's hold on me suddenly tightens.

Panic grips me. Luke!

"Paige?" Luke's voice is soft, disbelief in his voice. I grab his hand and swing him to face me. I run my hand over him, assuring myself that he isn't hurt. His eyes are huge, no doubt mirroring mine. He pulls me into a tight embrace. Little Jay protests slightly at being crushed, but he locks a hand around my neck and one around Lucas'.

"We have to get out," Luke breathes into my ear. I nod shakily. "Make sure Jay doesn't see," Luke continues. I nod once more. Luke takes Jay from my hands and pulls him against his chest. Jay doesn't protest, he just grabs on tighter. Luke wraps his free hand around my waist and pulls me into him as well.

We walk unsteadily to the door. Luke closes the door behind us and whips out his cell. "Paige? Sit. Take care of Jay. I'm going to call the cops," Luke murmurs, his voice still shaking a little. He walks off a few feet down the driveway, out of earshot and begins talking on the phone. Minutes later he joins me and Jay at the steps to the front door. The three of us huddle up against the cold. Luke shrugs off his coat and drapes it around my shoulder. He then picks Jay up and puts Jay on his lap, wrapping his arms around Jay to keep Jay warm.

"Wuke? What happened?" Jay whispers after a long silence. Luke's huge grey-blue eyes bore into my son's ocean blue eyes. They stare at each other for a while.

"I don't know, buddy. I...don't know," Luke whispers. I gently rub his back, and he looks down at me, his eyes searching mine. He asks me the question with his eyes; what now? I shrug slightly, and I feel the tears well-up in my eyes.

Soon, the sound of sirens blares in the background. Moments later a police cruiser and an ambulance pull up in the driveway.

Luke gets up and pulls me to my feet. We walk unsteadily to the cop cruiser, where Luke starts explaining what happened. I stand further away, out of ear shot, so I don't have to listen to the story. I hold Jay closer to me, he's my personal safe zone. So long as I'm holding my baby, I won't fall to pieces. I need to keep everything together. I'm no more the teenager who can fall to pieces as she likes. I have a child to look after.

"Momma? Why momma cwying?" Jay asks, his chubby little hand pressed against my tear-soaked cheek. I smile a watery smile down at Jay's innocence.

"It's nothing, baby. Momma is just...tired," I murmur, cradling him closer to me. He nods and buries his face in the crook of my neck.

An eternity later, Luke walks over to me, his hands running through his hair, making it spiky and messy; he looks really tired and yet looks younger than his 28 years. He holds his hands out to take Jay out of my hands, but I refuse, whispering, "I need to keep everything together now, Luke. I can't afford to lose it in front of my son."

He nods and moves to stand behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and resting his head on my shoulder. We stand like that for a long time, until the mess inside is cleaned up and the police have asked all their questions. Eventually, I see the paramedics wheeling a black body bag out of the house, I shudder slightly, but try to control myself. Nearly a half hour later, the paramedics and police leave.