Chapter 38: Ultrasounds and Guns

Magsimula sa umpisa

She frowned and handed me a gold iphone that I recognized, in fact I know who it belonged to, "...Is it Charlie's or Billy's?"

"Billy's!" I exclaimed, becoming humiliated.

"You're lucky I found this and my team didn't. A whole phone of texts Charlie sent to and received from you." She pursed her lips, "That alone is enough motive, no?"

"Why are you doing this? You play good cop/bad cop for fun?" I hissed, pressing my tongue to the inside of my cheek.

"I'll put my job before I put my family and the kids I grew up with first." She replied sternly, "I am trying to protect you Amber. Believe it or not I care.... about you and all of them. But I love my career too. If you hear anything about Charlie or get any kind of threats, you call me. Okay?"

"I'm going to be late for my doctor's appointment." I mumbled, ignoring her.

"Billy doesn't need to be put away just before his kid is born. That'll happen if he goes after Charlie and succeeds. So I suggest you do as I say." She added, handing me a business card. "Be safe Amber, he'll be coming after you first."

I stood up and nodded slowly, grabbing my purse and turning to leave her office. I wanted to punch a hole through the wall, I wanted to scream, run away - escape all of this bullshit. But instead I have to grab life by the balls and deal with it. Everyone told me I wasn't cut out for this life, so far I've proven them incorrect. I wanted this life, I knew what the sacrifices would be.

"You're getting into a whole new world now.... I hope you can handle it." Jessica Wallis called out from behind me.

I smirked and turned my head to stare at her from over my shoulder, "I guess we'll see."

Image

"I have something to tell you privately after we get out of here." I said to Christy, who was sitting down next to Megan watching the ultrasound screen.

"You can say it now while the ultrasound tech is out of the room, I don't care." Megan shrugged, staring at me oddly.

"I can't...tell... you..." I replied awkwardly.

"Why?" Megan asked, looking slightly hurt.

"Meg, trust me... if I could, I would. I can't have this getting back to Billy." I tried to explain.

Megan scoffed and looked at Christy before turning her attention back to me, "You think I'm gonna go and run my mouth to Jack about whatever it is you're hiding? I know how this shit works. I was smart enough to figure out that Jack was still working for Billy, I'll be smart enough to figure out whatever it is you have to say."

"This is different." I promised.

Megan laughed, "Not too long ago it was you in my position. Don't act like you're high and mighty just because you're on Billy's dick."

"Shut the fuck up, now." Christy barked.

Megan sighed, "I'm sorry... Just, come on Amber... you know how this is. You both tend to forget that I'm one of the boys's women too. I'm in this fucked up life just as much, if not more than Christy, as you two."

"Charlie's alive." I announced, staring up at the ceiling.

"What?!" Both of them exclaimed.

"You have got to be fucking kidding me!" Christy exclaimed, throwing her hands up and leaning her head back against the wall.

"How?! Jack said Billy shot his point blank in the chest. There's no-"

"Obviously wasn't deep enough to hit an artery." I cut Megan off.