Chapter 74: Beast of Burden

I was already awake and on the floor in my bathroom, puking my guts out, when I received the call from Detective Wallis that Billy had been both shot and arrested for his involvement in the shootout that had occured last night at some house in the hills.

Sick, tired, and stressed... I still managed to clean myself up, pull my act together, get Shaun ready and haul him to the police station with me.

"Five fucking years?!" I screamed at Detective Wallis, not even so much as caring that she could arrest me right now solely for my outburst in her office.

"It's the best deal I can do given his record!" She growled, closing the door to her office.

"So what? Billy made you a little deal, and what? It put him behind bars, got you closer to bringing down some prick and what? You get a 'Good job, Wallace! Here's your fuckin' employee of the month cup.'? You're a fuckin' joke,"

"Watch your goddamn mouth," She snapped back at me, pursing her lips and staring down at Shaun.

"Or what? You gonna arrest me too?"

"You know why he did what he did... and frankly, you should be thankful that it's him behind bars and you out here with your son, Amber." Wallace hissed, plopping down in her leather seat behind her desk.

"Do you really believe that this... this... is all over?" I chuckled in disbelief.

Wallace sighed, "No... but sure slows things down, at least for awhile."

"Just goes to show that no matter what... neither of us are getting out of this life..." I started, pausing to pick up Shaun's heavy carseat, "isn't that right... detective?"

"Five years is a long time, Mrs. Darley." Wallace piped up, stopping me from leaving her office, "May I suggest that you use this time wisely for you and your son's sake."

Clicking my jaw to the side, I slowly spun around and smiled at her, "You may have been able to run, but I can't."

I never went to any of Billy's trials. It wasn't because I was mad at him, because I wasn't. If anything, I was thankful for his sacrifice. He saved me from doing prison time and I knew he was doing just what he claimed he always does... protecting what's his.

Rafael had shown up on my doorstep with his lame "apologies" for what had happened. He had tried to explain to me that this shit sometimes happens and it's out of his control. Which means he's glad it happened to someone besides him. Thankfully, that also means he bought the bullshit story of what happened that night... whatever it was that did happen. I think it's safe to say that we're debt free of Rafael now.

Megan and Jack still never got back together, in fact... they hardly speak to each other when they're around... but they seem to be civil towards one another for the sake of Shaun and I. Jack lives with Jamie and his wife and kids. Megan still lives with Christy, where they both party and snort lines together frequently.

Bodie and Jamie help me run Bones' shop... the mechanics get paid on time and surprisingly... it's the only thing that's keeping a roof over my head and food on the table right now. Which is nice considering I get to be a stay at home mom and still keep my head above water because God knows I wouldn't be able to afford to live, eat, and pay for Shaun's daycare while I work. However, my sister has been talking about moving here and in with me... I know she's not ready to face the life I live, but if she lived with me, it would be nice to have her watch Shaun for me on days that I have to be down at Bones' shop. I hate taking Shaun there with me... it's loud and not a place for a baby.

Julia hasn't spoken to me since the night I lost control and hit an ex-member of B-street in the face with a guitar. She downright believes I'm no longer the same person and that I'm the female version of Billy. She's wrong of course... and I just don't have the energy to prove that to her right now, so... eventually, she will come around... she always does.