Chapter 27: Changed

I've been on edge ever since I woke up on Christy's uncomfortable pull-out couch, this morning. I don't know how Jack and Megan survived sleeping on that God forsaken thing when I still lived there. Either way, I didn't sleep much last night given the fact about what happened last night at The Four Roses. I don't know what I done to Billy, but frankly I don't think it was anything I had done, he's just an asshole when he drinks heavy.

Christy and Megan were both planning on waking up early this morning and coming with me to the clinic, but because I tossed and turned all night last night, I just slipped out of their apartment before any of them woke up this morning and went myself. So, here I am... sitting on this awkward hospital bed/bench thing in a hospital gown, chewing my nails impatiently waiting for the doctor to return to the room.

"Well, Amber! Are you ready?" The doctor asked as he walked into the room, awakening me from my thoughts.

I nodded, unsure of what it was that we were going to be doing especially since I'm not all thaaaat far along. It's only been two weeks since I found out and four and a half weeks since Billy and I last had sex. The fact the doctor had me strip down into my bra and underwear and put on this ridiculous gown tells me that he's going to do an early ultrasound to detect how far along I am exactly. Obviously I won't be seeing baby or anything, it's more so just to give me an idea on when I'm due. I only know this because my oldest sister - back when I was still welcome in my family - dragged me along to all her appointments when she got pregnant.

I exhaled a rugged breath as I laid down and stared up at the white ceiling tiles. The doctor opened my gown and applied a cold, blue gel on my stomach and began. I shivered as I shifted my eyes from the ceiling to the doctor, his facial expression was stiff while he concentrated on the screen. Worry took over me as the doctor remained silent.

"Is... everything okay?" I asked, my voice cracking with fear.

"Yes, I'm not going to show you the screen because baby is literally the size of a peppercorn. You're five weeks roughly, as for your due date... you're sure you don't remember your last period?" The doctor asked, frowning at me.

I shook my head, "No... But if I'm already a month pregnant... wouldn't my due date be somewhere in late April... May?"

"Exactly."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"Well... alright then...." I trailed off awkwardly as the doctor wiped the blue gel off of my bare stomach.

"I'll let you get dressed and then we'll have a chat, alright Amber?" The doctor said with a warm smile. "Congratulations, by the way."

I chewed on the inside of my cheek absent mindedly as I nodded slowly, "Thanks..."

Image

While I was at the doctors office, Billy was speeding away from his father's chop shop, extremely aggravated. It was bad enough that yesterday after leaving our apartment and heading straight to see Bones, Billy found out his mother had overdosed and died early yesterday morning. The man she had run off with years ago contacted Bones to let him know and in hopes of finding her two sons in time for the funeral. Billy being Billy, acted like it didn't bother him in front of Bones. But given the fact that it was his birthday and that he hasn't seen or heard from his mother in years, of course it bothered him.

Bones was even more of a dick this morning, more than he usually is all because of what happened last night at the Four Roses. He warned Billy to keep me in line if Billy doesn't want anything to happen to me. Given that I'm the only girl Billy has ever loved, hearing the man he hates most threaten my life made Billy's blood boil worse than it ever has when it comes to Bones.