Chapter 43: Christmas

Me and kid Billy successfully managed to have a memorable Christmas Eve together. I purchased my Billy's gift and kid Billy's new shoes. Having the heart that I do - which I somehow still have - made me want to take kid Billy away from his abusive father and crack addicted mother and adopt him myself, regardless of us only being like 11 years apart.

He's a young boy with so much potential - he's incredibly smart, he's the funniest kid I've ever known, he's compassionate and has such a big heart for a child who's grown up in a world that he's now accustomed to. Much like my Billy, really. I'd hate to see this Billy grow up to be ruthless, uncompassionate and hateful just like Billy Darley, all because of his parents.

Unfortunately, history is bound to repeat itself.

Yawning, I slowly opened my eyes and rolled over to see that Billy was sound asleep beside me, laying on his stomach, his arms under his pillow. A smile crept across my face as I snuggled up closer to him and gently blew on his nose, watching as his scrunched his brow but continued to sleep.

"Babe.." I whispered.

"Billy..." I sang quietly.

"Billy."

"Billy?"

"BIILLLL?"

"William?"

"Is that your name or is it just Billy?"\

"Bill-"

I giggled when a loud sigh exited Billy's mouth and he slowly opened his eye lids and glared at me between squinted eyes, "What?"

"Morning." I replied cheerfully as he rolled onto his back and stared at me.

"Mornin'." He repeated in a husky, tired tone. "Why are ya up so early?"

"It's Christmas!" I exclaimed, rolling on top of him and straddling his hips.

Billy smirked and placed his hands on my hip bones, "Keep doin that and-"

"And nope!" I cut him off, climbing off of him and staggering over to the closet, "Not on Christmas morning!"

"What better way to celebrate Christmas." Billy mumbled, kicking his legs over the bed and reaching for his cigarettes and lighter on the night stand. Billy placed a cigarette between his lips and lit the end, his cheeks caving in as he inhaled a long drag, "What's that?"

I sat down on the edge of the bed next to Billy and waved my hand in front of my face trying to fan away the cigarette smoke, "It's a Christmas present."

"And it's yours."

"Mine?" Billy asked dully, cigarette hanging out one side of his mouth as he spoke. I handed him the nicely wrapped present and smiled anxiously, "Thanks."

"You're welcome. Open it!" I exclaimed.

Billy pulled the cigarette out from in between his lips and flicked his ashes in the ashtray on the nightstand before placing it back between his lips and staring down at the present. I folded my hands in my lap and chewed on my bottom lip nervously as I watched Billy slowly and delicately unwrap the present. His expression remained the same as he looked over the now unwrapped present in his large hand. It was a double framed photo that had the photo over top of our child's crib of Billy and Joe together as kids, and the bottom photo was the last and most recent photo of Joe and Billy together.

Billy sucked in a shaky breathe as his thumb caressed over the bottom photo of him and Joe. Suddenly I felt unsure if this present was a good idea or not. Was it too soon? Was Billy still touchy over the subject of Joe?